Use the .List method to read numbers from dropdown (combo)

0123ren

Hey,

I am working on a bit of code that will read data from a series of columns in a database, a dropdown menu is used to display unique values from one of the columns. I then want to read the value that has been selected from this dropdown and then display a value in the same row but on a different column in a separate listbox (similar to vlookup). The code I have works with a database full of strings but falls down when the values in the dropdown are number (error type mismatch).

I think this is a problem with the .List method of the dropdown it simply refuses to read numbers, even when the column arrar I am reading from is stored as variant.

I hope I have explained my problem clearly, if not please ask, I appreciate any help that someone can give me. Full code or spreadsheet is available upon request.

Thanks in advance

PS here is the part of the code that reads the value selected from the dropdown and produces the corresponding value from a different column in a list box. As I say it works perfectly when the value in the dropdown is a string but refuses to work with numbers.

Sub LoadPressures()
Dim listSeatDia
Dim Data
Dim UniquePressures
Dim Pressures

'Selects data range to be worked upon
With Worksheets("Data")
Data = Intersect(.UsedRange, .Range("k:q"))
End With

'Removes all items from the list box
Sheet1.ListBoxes("Concat_SD_P").RemoveAllItems

'Reads what value is selected in the dropdown, this will effect what is shown in the listbox
With Sheet1.DropDowns("SeatDia")
listSeatDia = .List(.ListIndex)
End With

'This pulls data that is selected in column 1 and replaces it with data
'on column 7 in the same row
UniquePressures = UNIQUEVALUES(Data, listSeatDia, 1, 7)

Pressures = SORTSDARRAY(UniquePressures, Ascending)

'lists all of the unique items in column 7 that have been selected and places these in the list box
For i = 0 To UBound(Pressures, 1)
ListBoxes("Concat_SD_P").AddItem Pressures(i)
Next
End Sub

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Where does the error occur? You call two procedures that you haven't posted the code for - I guess it's in one of those as you haven't typed any variables in the posted code.

Upvote 0
Yes, UNIQUEVALUES as I am aware just compares all values in the array and stores all of the uniqe values and removes all blanks.

And SORTSDARRAY basically sorts the unique list in ascending or descending order.

When the code falls down simply 'type mismatch' is reported and it doesn't highlist the actual area where the code failed or where it originated from.

I could send the spreadsheet if needed complete with the 2 procedures called?

Upvote 0
The fact that you don't get a debug option makes me think the error is not in the code you posted (since you have no error handlers) so yes, it might be best to send the workbook, unless you can post it on a site like box.net?

Upvote 0
The issue is that all the items in the combobox are stored as text. So when your UNIQUEVALUES routine tests the values in the sheet (which are numeric) against the criteria (which is text) none of them match. You then pass an empty variable (SortData) to the next routine, which it doesn't like.
Really you should be testing to see if SortData is Empty before you do anything fursther with it, but you should also add a check to see if the item selected from the list is a number (with IsNumeric) and then convert it accordingly (e.g. use Val or CDbl) and then use that converted value as the criterion.

Upvote 0
My pleasure. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back