User Defined Function help

largeselection

Hello,

I have a user defined function which converts a zipcode into the state it comes from written as below:

Code:
Function State(number as string)
Select case number

Case is = "11111"
State = "Wyoming"
Case is = "22222"
State = "New York"
Case is = "33333"
State = "California"
etc.

what I'm wondering is if it would be possible to create a user defined function which would use this function to evaluate a sum without having to physically add another column to the data.

So if I have data that is just 2 columns
Zipcode, Population

I'd like to be able to put in a custom function like Customsum(Zipcode column, State, New York, Population column)
And have it spit out what the sum of the population column is for all zipcodes within New York.

I know I could add a third column to the data which is just "STATE" and use my original UDF to just populate it, then do a sumif, but I'm wondering if it's possible to skip that step.

I've tried with some arrays but they don't work. So for example I tried {=sum(if(state(A1:A100)="NEW YORK",B1:B100,""))} hoping that that might work, but no luck.

So the UDF format I'd be looking for is something similar to Customsum(Reference range, Custom UDF to evaluate, Value from UDF to sum, Reference range to sum)

Is this possible?

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I'm not sure what the UDF is contributing.

How about just making a three-column table with zip, state, and population, and then using AutoFilter, Advanced Filter, a pivot table, or some formulas to extract whatever you want?

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for taking a look.

The reason why I'm using a UDF is because I actually have more fields than just State, there are about 30 of them. So if I have the set of data and UDFs I can create a summary by each field in a table above the data. As of now I just have 30 additional columns on the data which have the UDFs and then just sumifs in a table above, but I thought I could save some space if it would be possible to do the Array formulas using my UDFs.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonnaRisso

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back