User defined function

Pocho

Hello,
I am new to VBA and I have written macros that have created data pages for securities. Due to memory limitations, I put just 50 sheets per workbook. What I want to do is create a function that will return data from one of the pages in the appropriate file(workbook). Can a workbook be opened with a function? If so, will multiple function calls happen in parallel (this would be a problem as the computer would crash if all the files were opened at once)?

Thanks for any insight.

Pocho

The reason for doing it with a udf is that there will be a worksheet with thousands of calls to this data. To calculate a return, for example, the formula in the cell would get the price on two days and then use that to calculate an annualized return. Everything would be perfect if it were not for the fact that there is a limit to how many sheets I can have open in a book (this is determined by the amount of memory in the computer). I have just 1.25 GB. I therefore decided I would just keep the data in several files, but it seems my assumption that I could get the data from these books with a UDF was simply wrong.

It sure does seem silly that a workbook can access data from a closed file and a UDF cannot.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Good news.

Reference:
http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ExtractFromClosedWorkbook.htm

Can you understand what he is doing and is it relevant to my problem? Seems to me he only wants to get to data from a workbook which you just demonstrated possible!

I have adjusted the above UDF/macro code. With some test data, I was able to pull in a range of cells, A1:O101, from a closed workbook in less then 1 second.

Have a great day,
Stan

Upvote 0
Good news.

Reference:
http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ExtractFromClosedWorkbook.htm

Can you understand what he is doing and is it relevant to my problem? Seems to me he only wants to get to data from a workbook which you just demonstrated possible!

I have adjusted the above UDF/macro code. With some test data, I was able to pull in a range of cells, A1:O101, from a closed workbook in less then 1 second.

Have a great day,
Stan

Upvote 0
My understanding is that a UDF and macro may have similar syntax, but UDF's can't do all what a macro can do. (ei. open a file). Are you saying that with thi code you can access data from a closed file with a UDF. Remember, it is not a solution to have to pull all the data when I open the workbook, because there is too much data for excel to handle at one time (or else I would not have different files).

Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back