User Input Box for range of a chart

Jedit

I started creating a macro that asks the user to enter the number of rows into a message box. The message box needs to take that value and make the last row of the graph that value.

Dim myColm As Range
Set myColm = Application.InputBox("How many rows are there?", Type:=8)
On Error Resume Next
Selection.Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C34,,'Chart'!R10C34:R(mycolm)C34,6)"

I realize that mycolm is not supposed to be there but that is essentially what I would like the macro to have the value inserted. If anyone can offer me any advice or guidance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jedit

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Perhaps something like this...

Selection.Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C34,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & mycolm & "C34,6)"

The formula is just a string where you can concatenate your variable within.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the feedback. I went back into my source code and entered the modifications you made to my code; however, I am still having trouble with my code.

I am added a banded graph to my line graph however, the line graph is either shorter or longer than the banded graph. The above macro is so the user can type a value into the input box which then makes the last row of the banded graph equal to the value inserted into the user input box. The code is as follows:
Dim myColm As Range
Set myColm = Application.InputBox("How many rows are there?", Type:=8)
On Error Resume Next
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(6).Select
Selection.Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C34,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & myColm & "C34,6)"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(5).Select
Selection.Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C33,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & myColm & "C33,6)"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(4).Select
Selection.Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C32,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & myColm & "C32,6)"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(3).Select
Selection.Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C31,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & myColm & "C31,6)"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2).Select
Selection.Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C30,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & myColm & "C30,6)"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Select
Selection.Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C29,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & myColm & "C29,6)"

End Sub
If you could provide me any guidance as to where I am going wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Maybe try this. I'm guessing though.

Code:
[color=darkblue]Dim[/color] myColm [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color]
myColm = Application.InputBox("How many rows are there?", Type:=2)
[color=darkblue]If[/color] myColm = 0 [color=darkblue]Then[/color] [color=darkblue]Exit[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color] [color=darkblue]Else[/color] myColm = myColm [B]+ 10[/B]
[color=darkblue]On[/color] [color=darkblue]Error[/color] [color=darkblue]Resume[/color] [color=darkblue]Next[/color]
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(6).Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C34,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & myColm & "C34,6)"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(5).Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C33,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & myColm & "C33,6)"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(4).Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C32,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & myColm & "C32,6)"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(3).Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C31,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & myColm & "C31,6)"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2).Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C30,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & myColm & "C30,6)"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Formula = "=SERIES('Chart'!R9C29,,'Chart'!R10C34:R" & myColm & "C29,6)"

Your original code was prompting for a range and not a number. Was that the "problem"?

Also, the series formula is expectiong a row number and not a row count. So since the first data row is 10, then add 10 to the prompted row count.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much you are a life saver. I knew that was one of my errors and I just finished cleaning up the rest of the code to make it work perfectly. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back