Userform/MsgBox with a Do Not Show Again CheckBox

Bench

Board Regular
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to do a Userform with a Do Not Show again checkbox.

This is obviously cosmetically possible but what would the VBA be to make sure that the Userform didn't come up next time the user opens the file.

And would this work on a document that is accessed by a number of users? eg. one persons selects DO NOT SHOW AGAIN, when another user accesses the spreadsheet will the userform show until they tick the checkbox?

Thanks

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
For a single user the solution is simple: if the box is checked a 1 is written to a 'hidden' cell somewhere, and on calling the userform first the value of this cell is checked.

For multi users things get more interesting. You need to know who is looking at the sheet, and then keep a tab on who has checked and who not.

Probably create an extra worksheet where you have a table of users and a 1 or 0 behind each.

You can find the username with
Code:
dim CurUser as string

CurUser = ActiveWorkbook.UserStatus(1, 1)
then you need to check if the user is in the list. if not add to the list, if so check for 1 or 0 behind the name

Upvote 0
I was searching for a way to do something similar, and thought I'd post what I found:

I have a series of excel sheets that are in the process of being upgraded, and I needed a reminder for the users of one of the upgrades to display the first time the workbook was opened, and give them the option to prevent it from displaying again.

I ended up creating a small form containing my message, a check box asking if the user would like the notice again, and an OK button to close the form. Additionally, I set up a registry key to track if the user had checked the box for this specific sheet.

In the ThisWorkbook object I added a workbook name property so I can reuse all the code, just changing it's assignment for each workbook, a quick if statement to launch the form when the workbook was activated if the registry key value was either "Y" or did not exist:

Code:
 Private workshtName As String

Private Sub Workbook_Activate()
    If workshtName = vbNullString Then
        workshtName = "book1"
    End If
    If GetSetting("workbookGroup", workshtName, "showWarningValue", "Y") = "Y" Then
        noSemiColons.chkShowAgain = False
        noSemiColons.Show
    End If
    AddMenus
End Sub

Public Property Get myName() As String
    myName = workshtName
End Property

Public Property Let myName(ByVal inName As String)
    workshtName = inName
End Property
The form consisted of a text box containing my message, a check box asking if the user wanted to see this warning in the future and an OK button. On the back end it only required a hide function and check box evaluator for the OK button:

Code:
Private Sub btnOK_Click()
'Update the registry key based on the check box
    If chkShowAgain.Value = True Then
        SaveSetting "workbookGroup", ThisWorkbook.myName, "showWarningValue", "N"
    Else
        SaveSetting "workbookGroup", ThisWorkbook.myName, "showWarningValue", "Y"
    End If
'close the form
    Me.Hide
End Sub
I've tested it extensively and it works wonderfully! Each user will now be able to define if they want to view the warnings on each workbook, and will be forced to view it at least once. The really cool thing about this is it stores the registry key in the current user settings, and has two layers of grouping.

You can find more detailed info on the get and set setting methods here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3kz7fyks(v=VS.71).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kb0c3wb9(v=VS.71).aspx

There is a great example of the methods being used here:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip60.htm

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back