Username and Passwords on a Worksheet

sprucethebruce

Board Regular
I don't really know where to start with this problem.

I want to be able to track who is entering data into a spreadsheet. Ideally everyone (around 50 people) has their own username and password and they have to enter this to access the spreadsheet and once they access it, there name is stored along with date and time.

Is there anyway to attach a username and password function to excel and then to make it work ina manner I describe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Put this at the workbook level:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Call CheckUser
End Sub

Put this in a module:

Code:
Sub CheckUser()
Dim UserPass As Variant
Dim LoginAllowed As Boolean
Dim UserName, PassWrd As String
UserPass = Array("Dan|Pass", "Bob|Hello", "Janice|World")
UserName = InputBox("Enter Username", "Login")
PassWrd = InputBox("Enter Password", "Login")
LoginAllowed = False
For X = LBound(UserPass) To UBound(UserPass)
    If UCase(UserPass(X)) = UCase(UserName) & "|" & UCase(PassWrd) Then LoginAllowed = True
Next
If LoginAllowed Then
    MsgBox "Login Succesful"
Else
    MsgBox "You dont have access"
    'Actworkbook.Close False 'Commented out for testing
End If
End Sub

That should be enough to get you started :).

Cheers

Dan

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
That was great example...but even if you enter incorrect username and pass it will allow you to access and make changes even though it may say "you dont have access" msg...:biggrin:
so you better to a close workbook function there so that when incorrect info is entered the workbook closed .....just suggestion...
;)

Upvote 0
That was great example...but even if you enter incorrect username and pass it will allow you to access and make changes even though it may say "you dont have access" msg...:biggrin:
so you better to a close workbook function there so that when incorrect info is entered the workbook closed .....just suggestion...
;)

Look at the 3rd last line in the code :)

Edit: Whoops, typo:

'Actworkbook

Should be

'Activeworkbook

Upvote 0
Very very good.

I've uncommented the section for closing the workbook but keep getting a runtime 424 error, object required on the Actworkbook.Close False line. I'm sure its something basic I'm missing. Doh.

Else
MsgBox "You dont have access"
Actworkbook.Close False
End If

Upvote 0
Very very good.

I've uncommented the section for closing the workbook but keep getting a runtime 424 error, object required on the Actworkbook.Close False line. I'm sure its something basic I'm missing. Doh.

Yeah it was a typo, make it Activeworkbook.close false

Upvote 0
How secure do you want it? We can also disable the esc key if you need so the user can't interupt the code. They will always be able to choose to open without macros though. There are ways around this with hidden sheets and password protection.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that was my next question about the opening by disabling macros. If it isn't an option to skip this question and enable macros automatically, I'd just create a button required to be pressed to make the sheet visible or something along those lines, so opening without enabling macros would give you nothing but a blank sheet.

How exactly does the escape key interrupt the code?

Upvote 0
Yeah, that was my next question about the opening by disabling macros. If it isn't an option to skip this question and enable macros automatically, I'd just create a button required to be pressed to make the sheet visible or something along those lines, so opening without enabling macros would give you nothing but a blank sheet.

How exactly does the escape key interrupt the code?

The hidden sheet method is exactly how to do it but make it part of the workbook open macro, then you don't need a button, workbook opens, they enter their login, it unhides.

If they open and interrupt the code they see a blank sheet, if they open no macros, they see a blank sheet.

Make sure you password protect your module.

The escape key (or interrupt key) can be disabled like so:

Code:
Application.EnableCancelKey = xlDisabled

Turn it back on at the end with:

Code:
Application.EnableCancelKey = xlInterrupt

Cheers

Dan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back