Using a data validation drop-down list with countifs formulas

ngelbke

I have a table created that uses countifs formulas to pull data. I want the data to change based by client - so I created a drop down list with each client's name, and thought I could add a criteria to the countifs formula based on the client's name in the cell- but I get a value error. Any suggestions?

Hello, I have the exact same issue however I have multiple (6) criteria within the COUNTIFS function. Any ideas on how to I specify the "display all" element?

Particularly 2 conditions relating to dates and 4 which relate to factors with many levels (between 2-6). I am using excel 2010.

Purpose is to measure employee headcount on certain dates from a dataset that the sample looks like below (normally has c.18K records):

IDStart DateLeft DateDepartmentFee earning flagAreaEmployee Type
101/01/2015SystemsFee earningAsiaEFT
214/05/2017 02/03/2018ServicesNon-fee earningEuropeER
302/02/2018SystemsFee earningAmericaCFT
421/04/2013 19/05/2018ServicesNon-fee earningUKCON

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Formula structure:
=COUNTIFS( Start date < Date, End date >=Date, Department = ..., Employee Type = ..., Fee earning flag = ..., Area = ...) + COUNTIFS( all same but End date = blank, this is to add an OR functionality for left date)

Logic description example:
Count every employee with a start date before i.e.01/07/2015 (so person has started by that date) AND [left date EITHER after 01/07/2015 (leaver after that date) OR blank] AND conditions about department, area etc..

Formula
=COUNTIFS(Base_DATA!$H$2:$H$18454,"<" & B3,Base_DATA!$J$2:$J$18454,">=" & B3,Base_DATA!$AE$2:$AE$18454,$V$2,Base_DATA!$BK$2:$BK$18454,$V$3,Base_DATA!$U$2:$U$18454,$V$4,Base_DATA!AL2:AL18454,$V$5)+COUNTIFS(Base_DATA!$H$2:$H$18454,"<" & B3,Base_DATA!$J$2:$J$18454,"",Base_DATA!$AE$2:$AE$18454,$V$2,Base_DATA!$BK$2:$BK$18454,$V$3,Base_DATA!$U$2:$U$18454,$V$4,Base_DATA!AL2:AL18454,$V$5)

B3 includes the date I want to calculate the headcount and V2,3,4,5 the dropdown lists for each of the factors explained before.

I would greatly appreciate your help.
Please advice if it is better to open a new thread , I just felt that it is the extension of the issue discussed here.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Maybe this...

=IF(A1="All",COUNTIF('All Lates - Data'!F2:F491,'Late Workorder Breakdown'!A9,COUNTIFS('All Lates - Data'!F2:F491,'Late Workorder Breakdown'!A9,'All Lates - Data'!$C$2:$C$491,A1))

Hi T.Valko - you have been a lifesaver for me with this response. The only query I have is how would you change this formula to count everything (based on other criteria) if A1 cell is empty, to give overarching numbers? I have created a dashboard that needs to be able to flex based on the data validation list but also provide an overall summary. Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdahsankhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back