Using Drop Down List Option as Criteria w/o Selection from Drop Down

blackened66

Hi everyone,

I've lurked here for a while and have found this forum very helpful but I haven't been able to find a solution to the question I have. I have used the search in both the forum and the advanced Google search on the main page. Into the problem...

I have a file right now that contains a table that is populated based on the region selected from the drop down menu. What I am trying to do is use a function to extract the data I need from each region in this table regardless of what is selected from the drop down menu. The issue is that my formula will only populate the data from the specific region that is selected. So when I filter on Ontario, every single region will display the numbers from Ontario. My current method of obtaining the data is filtering on the region and then copying and pasting as values (which is not optimal since my goal is to automate this process).

Red indicates the drop down.
British Columbia
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December
Found

<tbody>
</tbody>

This is a sample of the table I would like to populate.

JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
British Columbia
Alberta
Saskatchewan
Manitoba
Ontario

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col span="12"></colgroup>

My current function is just a INDEX(MATCH()) formula. I apologize for the poor tables... I am not certain how to put in better ones. I hope this is enough to go on though.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Unfortunately I cannot edit or alter the information in any way as it's a file that belongs to someone else and it is locked for editing.

Upvote 0
If you're copying and pasting from another workbook, then instead of applying the filter and doing it one region at a time, just copy/paste the entire data set, then use a Pivot Table.

Upvote 0
The issue with copy and pasting the data set is two fold. The first is that the table with the drop down menu is riddled with functions that caluclate new values not present in the data set. The second issue is that this is a report that is updated every month which is needed for my monthly report. This is why I'm looking for a way to automate this. I appreciate your help so far though Smitty!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back