Using if then statement that doesn't apply cell-to-cell but for the whole column

JustJen

Hello,

I am using Excel 2007 on Windows 7... and have tried using every formula I can think of (or google has helped me find) to solve my problem without any luck. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

A sample of my data:
Month
MonthNameDate ArrivedPrimary Reason for Coming?
JanuaryJohn Smith29/1/2012Friends
JanuaryJane Smith31/1/2012Outreach
FebruaryMike Smith2/2/2012Friends

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want to be able to the data entry person to only have to enter in the above data and the summary information (i.e. monthly totals, % of new participants who identified outreach as their primary reason for coming etc per month) will come up automatically in a protected cell.

I want to calculate the % of new participants who identified friends as their primary reason for coming to our organization. I want, for each row, if the cell in column A=January then go to column E and if this corresponding cell (i.e. If A2 = January then go to E2) =Friends count it. I want this if then statement to go down the entire column until it gets to a blank cell... so that I end up with an equation that will let me do = (all new participants in January who said friends)/(total new participants in January). I'm hoping whatever wonderful formula allows me to do this can be done automatically each time someone types into the excel sheet.

I can create a formula to calculate the total participants per month, but not able to figure out how to calculate the numerator.

Any ideas? I am totally lost at the moment so any direction would be appreciated.

Thank you so much for your help on this!
Jen

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi Jen and Welcome to the Board,

If you have xl2007 or later, you can use the COUNTIFS function to get the numerator as shown in the example below.
If you have an earlier version of Excel, you could use a SUMPRODUCT formula in a similar way.
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1MonthNameDate ArrivedPrimary Reason for Coming?Criteria
2JanuaryJohn Smith29/1/2012FriendsMonthJanuary
3JanuaryJane Smith31/1/2012OutreachPrimary ReasonFriends
4FebruaryMike Smith2/2/2012FriendsPercent Result50%
Sheet

Upvote 0
Hey,

That worked exactly as I needed it to.
Thank you so much for your assistance!!

Amazing :)

Have a great day,
Jen

Hi Jen and Welcome to the Board,

If you have xl2007 or later, you can use the COUNTIFS function to get the numerator as shown in the example below.
If you have an earlier version of Excel, you could use a SUMPRODUCT formula in a similar way.

*ABCDEFG
1MonthNameDate ArrivedPrimary Reason for Coming?*Criteria*
2JanuaryJohn Smith29/1/2012Friends*MonthJanuary
3JanuaryJane Smith31/1/2012Outreach*Primary ReasonFriends
4FebruaryMike Smith2/2/2012Friends*Percent Result50%

<colgroup><col style="width:30px; "><col style="width:70px;"><col style="width:82px;"><col style="width:90px;"><col style="width:186px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:106px;"><col style="width:70px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
G4=COUNTIFS(A$2:A$1000,$G$2,D$2:D$1000,$G$3)/COUNTIF(A$2:A$1000,G2)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kersh82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back