Using in a Formula, Referring to Another Sheet, a Cell Reference Containing the Sheet Name, Instead of the Sheet Name Itself

1971erRoadRunner

Hi there,

Is anybody aware of an option to use e. g. in a vlookup a reference to a cell in the “source sheet” instead of the sheet name?

I have quite some sheets w/ similar data sets – which I due to various reasons cannot combine in one sheet.
E. g. in column A of the consolidation sheet the primary key is listed.

Not to search for each vlookup or index/match the correct sheet the primary key is belonging to, my idea was to do it one time for identification of the sheet. With one check in a consolidation sheet, I identify the “source sheet” of a data set, e. g. in column b.

The next columns are intended to perform vlookups based on the primary key in column A, but only based on the sheet which is stated in column B. Of course I can do an if formula w/ all the various tabs – but hoped that I can just reference column b for the sheet, as otherwise it is almost the same to perform if(iserror(vlookup(…);if(iserror(vlookup(…)… for each cell:

A2=

B2=<sheet_name> identified via a “one time” vlookup searching sheet by sheet the primaray key w/ iserror
C2=VLOOKUP(a2; '[?!?!?]'!A:W;MATCH("<column_header>";'[?!?!?]'!$1:$1;0);FALSE))

Where [?!?!?] should be replaced ideally by b2 – which is directly not possible …
Is there a known trick how to cheat XLSx to accept instead of the right sheet name the reference to a cell where the sheet name is stated?

Feedback highly welcome – as the if clauses make the formulas way harder to read, and slow down the performance when filtering.

Looking forward for creative ideas :)
RoadRunner</column_header></sheet_name></prim_key>

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi CircleChicken,
Thanks a lot for the fast hint and warnings!
Actually for me I assume it is still reasonable as having in 5+ columns to check primary key in 10+ tabs the if-statements are very long and it is easy to make mistakes.
Let's see how the performance is when all calculations are in place - so far I have not faced any obvious performance issues.
RoadRunner

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back