Using iterators where there are duplicate values

dicken

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I've been doing a bit of experimenting, so I have a simple measure ; SUM(Tsales [Units] )

Whichi I have then wrapped in a AVERAGEX and SUMX , its only a two column table Item and unit and I made sure I had duplicate values,
which as it's tiny it is easy to see how the duplicates are grouped up ; so i have 3 a's a and 2 , a and 2 , a and 6
which seems to return ( 2 + 2 ) + 2 + 2 ) + 6. My question is this if I'm using anything enduing in X around a measure make sure you have a unique identifier
, any advice or reading suggestions welcome.

Richard

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Not sure I understand what you explain.

The interation happens on row level. That's simply it.
Say you quantity and price in a sales table, you can use averagex(table sales, [Quantity]*[Price])
It will give you the average of Total sales, which you need to calculates first on the row level.
So I do not really understand why you say it is sort of grouping duplicates values. It is not. That's the filter context of the coordinated fields. At least that's my assumption on the thing you describe.

Reading sugestion: any book by @Matt Allington ( member here), Avi Singh, Rob Collie. The books + website of 'the Italians', Rob's place,...

PS: I should follow my own advice as I tend to forget to move on with DAX.

Upvote 0

Say you quantity and price in a sales table, you can use averagex(table sales, [Quantity]*[Price])
It will give you the average of Total sales, which you need to calculates first on the row level.
So I do not really understand why you say it is sort of grouping duplicates values. It is not. That's the filter context of the coordinated fields. At least that's my assumption on the thing you describe.

Reading sugestion: any book by @Matt Allington ( member here), Avi Singh, Rob Collie. The books + website of 'the Italians', Rob's place,...

Thanks I'll look at the sites, I do have Matts book and another by a couple of Italians, also I've found Mike Girvin covers the problem in MSPTDA 18 where he points out that the problem won't occur if you use a formula rather than a measure and it's also ( just read this morning which doing the washing) in the Definitive Guide chapters 5 and 7 .

Richard

Upvote 0

Just to add as you said you didn't quite get what the problem was;
it's this with and iterator every time it comes across duplicate values it groups them together,
so a 1
a 2
a 2 , so =SUMX ( Table , SUM(sales) ) would give (1 + ( 2 + 2 ) + (2 + 2 ) ) , I know this isn't realistic but illustrates the point.
Richard.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back