harinsh

Hi Team,

I am looking for depended list in excel validation, can anyone please assist me on this...what formula should I use in validation list...

Input:
GradeProducts
AAproduct
BBproduct
CCproduct
AAproduct
BAproduct
CAproduct
AAproduct
BBproduct
CCproduct

<colgroup><col style="width:48pt" span="2" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Output:
When I select in cell A2 as grade "A" then I should only get list in B2 cell those products against to grade "A". I created the validation however, could not find what formula should I use for B2 validation field in the validation list.

Thank you,

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Hi,

I needed the same a while back but without VBA I could only come up with a solution that works if your input table is sorted by Grade. Either the original one or if not you'll need a backup sheet where you sort the table with a formula

Once sorted, you can use this offset, wherein the named range 'grades' is your list of grades in your input table and 'header' is the cell on top of your grade list
=OFFSET(header,MATCH(A2,grades,0),1,COUNTIF(grades,A2),1)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response....can't we achieve this without sort? I have huge data which I need keep add at bottom everyday !!

Upvote 0
To my knowledge you can't set validation list using an array, I tried, but only takes the first value; and when you try to force feed Excel an array it actually gives an error message stating that you cannot define validation list with an array....

If it's not an option to create an array from the results of a search/filter and set it as criteria, then we can only use an actual range reference, either with offset, indirect(also doesn't seem to work with non contiguous ranges) or range name (default or user named).

Someone smarter may offer another solution, but I think you'll need a back-end table, maybe on hidden sheet, where you dynamically create with formulas a sorted version of the data table. (extending your table daily is not a problem, you can use either a data table or setup manually an offset formula based named range that always extends itself)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biglake87

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back