#VALUE if cell blank

The Animal

Hi
Why do I keep getting a #VALUE Error when I6 is "". It does have a formula in the cell but no actual value

=IF(OR(I6=""),"",(K6+M6)/I6)/24

Thanks for any help
Stephen

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I'm not sure I understand what your formula is trying to achieve. Please explain in simple English what you are trying to accomplish. Then we can probably help.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply
If I6 is "" (blank) I want my target cell to be blank if not use the formula (K6+M6)/I6)/24
Thanks Alan

Upvote 0
Hi,

That's because when I6 is "" Blank, your formula is dividing I6 by 24, thereby causing the #VALUE error.

Also, you don't need the OR function, since you Only have 1 condition, try this version:

=IF(I6="","",(K6+M6)/I6/24)

Upvote 0
Using only 1 condition in OR is pointless. What you really need to see is if I6 is 0 or not. Your parentheses are also incorrect in your formula (they don't match up). Try this:

=IF(I6,((K6+M6)/I6)/24,"")

Upvote 0
Thanks.
So if I6 is blank no matter what the formula that follows the target cell will always be blank and ignore the formula?

Upvote 0
Further to above.
So I have used the above (IF(I6="","",(K6+M6)/I6/24) and works fine then rewritten to apply as per below and same #value error occurs in new target cell?
=IF(I5="","",($L5+J5)/$I5)/1440

Upvote 0
You need to move the closing parens to the right of 1440. Currently, if you have a blank, then you are dividing the blank by 1440 and getting the Error message.

Upvote 0
Further to above.
So I have used the above (IF(I6="","",(K6+M6)/I6/24) and works fine then rewritten to apply as per below and same #value error occurs in new target cell?
=IF(I5="","",($L5+J5)/$I5)/1440

You're doing the Exact same thing as your other formula here, when I5 is Blank, you're dividing it by 1440

Do this:

=IF(I5="","",($L5+J5)/$I5/1440)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back