Variable file operations (move and rename files).

NessPJ

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi all,

I am actually looking for a way to invoke a few file operations when working in Excel (Using VBA or so). Yet, i want the criteria for the files to be user customisable (the filename differs).

(1) In detail, i have a folder with report files from a WMS/PWS server.
This folder contains a file for each day of the month (where the file number equals the day number).
For instance... pws.stats.1.csv, pws.stats.2.csv, pws.stats.3.csv etc.

(2) Now i already have a little VBA code that opens up 2 explorer windows, 1 for the folder with the reports and one window that contains 7 folders for the user to drag the right reports in (Day 1 through Day 7).

(3) As a next step i have a shell commandline which renames all the files in the folder (it removes the .csv extension because if not, the files will not be imported correctly.
And then the final step is a Macro that imports the files into Excel (right format and right sheet of the workbook).

Step 2 is the one i actually want to automate, by giving the user the ability to input the number of the filename (which equal a day number) into 7 cells. When these are inserted i want a piece of VBA code to use those numbers as a variable to copy the right files into the according 7 folders (pws.stat.&number1&.csv, pws.stat.&number2&.csv).

When searching online i found this piece of code:
http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=827
Yet this was a little too much for me to comprehend (i'm no expert at VBA).

If anyone here could lent me a hand that would be awesome.
I'm guessing i need a piece of code that allows me to define 7 variables which then can be used to copy (and hopefully rename) these files.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I wrote the following VBA code to try and fix the problem myself, yet the Debugger keeps telling me Bold line below contains some error.

Code:
Sub Copytest2()

Sheets("Sheet1").Select

Dim Dag1 As String

Dag1 = Range("O9").Value

[B]    FileCopy "U:\Fileserver\Data\journee.pws.stat." & Dag1 & ".csv", "U:\Fileserver\Myfolder\Dag1\"[/B]

End Sub

Any ideas? :)

Upvote 0
Is there anyone that can tell me if i'm using the strings or Filecopy command the right way or? :)

TIA.

Upvote 0
I'm fairly sure that FileCopy can only copy a file to a file, not a file to a folder.

Try:-
Code:
[B] FileCopy "U:\Fileserver\Data\journee.pws.stat." & Dag1 & ".csv", "U:\Fileserver\Myfolder\Dag1\[COLOR=red]journee.pws.stat." & Dag1 & ".csv"[/COLOR][/B]

Just be careful of what's in Dag1. If O9 contains a date, you'll end up trying to copy a file called something like journee.pws.stat.40670.csv. If so, you should format the date before you use it:-
Code:
[B] FileCopy "U:\Fileserver\Data\journee.pws.stat." & [COLOR=#ff0000]Format([/COLOR]Dag1[COLOR=#ff0000], "dd-mm-yy")[/COLOR]  & ".csv", "U:\Fileserver\Myfolder\Dag1\journee.pws.stat." & [COLOR=red]Format([/COLOR]Dag1[COLOR=red], "dd-mm-yy")[/COLOR] & ".csv"[/B]

That's an example: you need to use whatever format matches the format of the date in the file name.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey,

Thanks for the tip, its working like a charm now! :)

Now all i would like to add is an option, that when Cell O9 is left empty it will skip the line of code and go to the next piece of code (Until all 7 days are done).

I believe this is something with the OnError function?

Upvote 0
No, you only use the On Error directive when you can't (easily) test for an error.

I can't see the piece of code which does the actual looping but perhaps something along the following lines:-
Code:
[FONT=Fixedsys]  If Not IsEmpty(Range("O9")) Then[/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys]    Dag1 = Range("O9").Value
    FileCopy... etc[/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys]  End If
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back