VBA - Concatenated data in one cell; delete entire row when 1 piece of info is not present

anarchyflag

I run a report that displays a list of employees with all the information associated with their employment record. One of the things on there is a concatenated list of all their Employee Roles, with a Valid To and From date. For example, if the list of possible Roles is as follows:
  • Role 1
  • Role 1 – trainer
  • Role 2
  • Role 2 – trainer
  • Role 3
  • Role 3 – trainer
  • Trainee employee
  • Former employee
  • Probationary employee
And there’s an employee who is checked off as Role 1, Role 1 – trainer, Role 2, and they used to be Role 3, the information will display in one cell as the following:
  • Role 1 – 1/1/2020 to N/A;Role 1 – trainer – 1/1/2020;Role 2 – 1/1/2020 to N/A;Role 3 – 1/1/2020 to 28/2/2020
For the report I’m using, I only want to be able to see a list of Active employees in Role 1 (so, not including people who have retired from Role 1 but are still active in other Roles).

I have the following piece of code which allows me to remove from the list anyone does not have Role 1 in their record:

VBA Code:
Sub deleteifnotR1 ()

Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim lastRow As Long

Set ws = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Employee Record")

lastRow = ws.Range("E" & ws.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Set rng = ws.Range("E1:E" & lastRow)

'filter and delete all but header row
    With rng
        .AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="<>*Role 1*"
        lr = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
        If lr > 1 Then
         Range("D2:D" & lr).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete
        End If
    End With

' turn off the filters
    ws.AutoFilterMode = False
End Sub

The problem with this is that it will still leave me with a list of Former employees, and active employees who may have retired from Role 1, but are still Role 3 etc.

In thinking about how to fix this, I’ve had two ideas – firstly, is it possible to un-concatenate this data? For example, to insert new columns across the top with all the different possible roles, and then have a macro that identifies when someone has “Role 1 – trainer” in their record and move that data over to the correct column? Then I could use a variation of the code above to delete anyone who doesn’t have “N/A” in the Role 1 column.

Alternatively, is it possible to amend the following line:

VBA Code:
 .AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="<>*Role 1*"

To search in some way for “Role 1 – *ANY DATE* to N/A”? This would filter out both former employees, and employees who have retired from Role 1 but nothing else.

(Ideally I would just rework the report rather than having to fix it after the fact, but I don’t have access to that part of our system, and the people that do aren’t willing to do any development on it).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
How about using the below in the Criteria filter ?

Criteria1:="Role 1 – *?/*?/???? to N/A"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back