VBA Create Linked Cell to Another Workbook

crussom1

Ok, so this is something which is probably so simple but I can't figure it out. I need a macro to create a linked cell to another workbook. The name of the workbook will change every time. The other workbook gets assigned a name based on a value they type into a form at the beginning, which is then stored as a variable (ProjectNum). I just want it to display the value of a specific cell on that other workbook as a linked cell (the value will change periodically and this file needs to be able to see updates).

So the macro recorder gave me this when I did a test run:

Code:
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "='[Visboard Template Questions.xlsm]New'!R2C17"

But that uses a static name for the workbook so I tried splitting it up using & and inserting the variable name where the workbook should go like this but it didn't work (the real workbook name won't have any spaces)

Code:
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=[" & ProjectNum & ".xlsm]" & ProjectNum & "!R2C17"

The closest I've gotten is this (it inserts the complete file path ProjectDir and the file name which is a variable), but it opens a file dialog and called Update Values and makes me select the file (if I do, it works, if not, it doesn't). I don't want to have to select the file though.

Code:
ActiveCell.Value = "='" & ProjectDir & "[" & ProjectNum & "]" & ProjectNum & "'!Q2"

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Something like this should work...

Code:
ActiveCell.[B]Formula [/B]= "='" & ProjectDir & "[" & ProjectNum & ".xlsx]" & ProjectSheetName & "'!Q2"

The workbook path (ProjectDir), workbook file name (ProjectNum), and the sheet name (ProjectSheetName) are three different strings.

Upvote 0
Something like this should work...

Code:
ActiveCell.[B]Formula [/B]= "='" & ProjectDir & "[" & ProjectNum & ".xlsx]" & ProjectSheetName & "'!Q2"

The workbook path (ProjectDir), workbook file name (ProjectNum), and the sheet name (ProjectSheetName) are three different strings.

Thanks, I'm so frustrated because I actually had it at some point then but I think I forgot the single quotes. Thank you for your help. This worked: (ProjectFile is a variable that has the file name ProjectNum & ".xlsm")
Code:
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "='" & ProjectFile & "'!R2C17"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back