vba dragging formula left to right the number of columns stops based on a value

armchairandy

Board Regular
I am attempting to reduce the amount of formulas in my workbook. So I only want to copy enough formula for the individual sheet. I have a cell A1 that contains a number, what I want to do is copy/drag the formula in B2 to the right by the number held in A1. ie if A1 = 12, then it would copy/drag the formula in B2 12 times & then stop.

I would also need to know how to copy formula downwards based on the range above.

I am currently using:
Range("L15").Select

Range("L15:AJ15").AutoFill Destination:=Range("L15:AJ" & Worksheets("SCData").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 28)

Counts the rows in SCData that has data in it & copies the formulas between L15:AJ15 downwards by that amount. Although this accounts for the bulk of data I am trying to use - the range is pre-determined & therefore has more formula incl. than is necessary. Each worksheet has this and the amount of formula required differs each time

If I could use the range from the first problem for the autofill in the second my workbook would be more manageable.

Finally, the workbook is for use by multiple users that do not have any excel skills, and the workbook is protected to stop accidental deletions of formula

Any help really appreciated

Andrew

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Something like
VBA Code:
Range("B2").Resize(Worksheets("SCData").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 28 -Range("B2").Row, Range("A1").Value).Formula = Range("B2").Formula

This is based in B2 as a reference point, not L15, so the row positions may not be as required.

Upvote 0
Jason

Many thanks for your quick response. As you probably guessed Im not experienced in vba. copy the formula by the value in B2

The vba you put up: this takes the number in B2, and the number of rows with data in Column A & drags the formula in B2 to the right by the number in B2 & down by the number of rows with data in Col a?

If so that would definitely work for me, what if I needed to do the first problem, ie copy the formula on a single row by the value in B2.

Again many thanks

Andrew

Upvote 0
Sorry, I think my post was misleading, the code takes the formula in B2 and copies it to the number of columns in A1

If A1 contains 10 then it will copy the formula as far as K2 (10 columns including column B).

The number of rows that it fills down is where I wasn't sure what you wanted, the reference of Rows + 28 and starting at L15 was what threw me when the earlier part of your post asked about starting at B2. This slightly altered version of the line I suggested will count the rows in SCData, then add 28, so if there are 10 rows in SCData, then this will fill the formula down 38 rows. With the formula starting in Row 2, that means it will fill down to row 39 (row 2 is the first of the 38 that is filled).

VBA Code:
Range("B2").Resize(Worksheets("SCData").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 28, Range("A1").Value).Formula = Range("B2").Formula

Simplifying the code even further to hopefully aid your understanding, the Resize(rows, columns) part is where the fill range is set,
VBA Code:
Range("B2").Resize(rows, columns).Formula = Range("B2").Formula
Using Resize(1, 10) will fill 10 columns in the same row, Resize(10, 1) will fill down 10 rows in the same column, Resize(10, 10) will fill 10 rows by 10 columns. As with most things in vba, these numbers can be defined in pretty much any way that suits the task. The hardest part is usually finding the most suitable way.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Jason

No, I think my post was probably misleading. I knew what I meant, but I wrote it without fully explaining what was in my worksheet. You have explained it really well for me to understand. You have saved me hours of work, many thanks

Regards

Andrew

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back