VBA Find newest values

cheesy_goodness

All,

First off, I can honestly say I have minimal experience with VBA, so there might be an exceptionally obvious solution. If there is, I apologize.

For background, I'm running Windows 7 and Excel 2013.

I've got a workbook with 5 input tabs. This workbook functions like a big "To Do" list. Each tab has anywhere from 1 to 10 sections, and each section within each tab contains work assignments (you can probably already see how big this project got to be;)).
In each section, a task is keyed in, and a user is assigned to that task. This data flows to a separate workbook made for each user and updates to reflect new assignments. In other words, if I assign the task "Complete Filing" to someone with the initials "ABC", ABC can then open his workbook and see that he has been assigned the task of "Complete Filing." When that task is completed, he mark that task being completed on his ABC sheet, and that data flows back to the Master sheet, which is now showing "Complete Filing" as being complete.

Happily, I've got all that finished and working perfectly. However, I've had a request to make it a bit more obvious when a new task has been added. Right now, I've set up each user's sheet with 6 tabs (one tab for each input tab on the master sheet, and one rather cumbersome summary sheet), but it isn't obvious when something new has been added.

My biggest problem now is trying to find a way for a Excel to recognize when a new assignment is given in the master sheet to a specific user. Ideally, I hope to find a way for Excel to find only NEW assignments, and generate an email to the user informing them that they have a new assignment, and what the assignment is.

My question is, is there a way for Excel to identify new values (assignments) that have been input, and can I use that mechanism in a macro to send an email to the assignee informing them of their new task?

Thanks for your time.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Hello,

What I would suggest, is to have a Worksheet_Change event in the Master Sheet, that when you have filled in each cell in the particular row (I assume that you will fill all the relevant data at one visit), it will e-mail that person. You could also have a cell with e-mail sent for that particular event.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back