VBA if statement msg box help

slams

Hello,

I have some code that compares part of a filename to a list in a column then moves the file to a new folder if they match. However I can't seem to get the message boxes right. I want ONE message box to display "Files archived!" when the loop is finished and ALL the files have been moved, but also a msg box to display "File not found" when a file can't be found/doesn't match the list. I can only seem to get a message box to display after every file is moved so..20+ message boxes, or one at the very end regardless if anything has been moved or not

Here's (part) of my code:

Code:
For Each Objfile In objFolder.Files

FileNum = Left(Right(Objfile.Path, 13), 8)

Dim RowCount: RowCount = 2
Dim ColIndex: ColIndex = 16

Do

If Cells(RowCount, ColIndex).Value = FileNum Then
    objFSO.MoveFile Objfile.Path, strFolderPath
    End If
    RowCount = RowCount + 1

Loop Until IsEmpty(Cells(RowCount, ColIndex).Value)

Next Objfile

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
WARNING: Very much "air code" and not tested...

In a junk copy of your wb, see if this is close.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> example()<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> RowCount<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> ColIndex<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> sPrompt <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> bolFileMoved <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Boolean</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> bolOneOrMoreMoved <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Boolean</SPAN><br><br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> Objfile <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> objFolder.Files<br>    <br>    bolFileMoved = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <br>    FileNum = Left(Right(Objfile.Path, 13), 8)<br>    <br>    RowCount = 2<br>    ColIndex = 16<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Do</SPAN><br>    <br>      <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Cells(RowCount, ColIndex).Value = FileNum <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        objFSO.MoveFile Objfile.Path, strFolderPath<br>        bolFileMoved = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>        bolOneOrMoreMoved = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Do</SPAN><br>      <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>      <br>      RowCount = RowCount + 1<br>        <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Loop</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Until</SPAN> IsEmpty(Cells(RowCount, ColIndex).Value)<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> bolFileMoved <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>      MsgBox "File named: " & FileNum & " was not found/moved", vbInformation, vbNullString<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> Objfile<br>  <br>  MsgBox IIf(bolOneOrMoreMoved, "One or more files were archived.", "No files were archived"), vbInformation, vbNullString<br>  <br>  <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Hope that helps,

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi Mark,

I think this is kind of working but I suspect the "File not moved/found" error is coming up every time it finds a file in the folder that doesn't match the list in the column, then moving the matching files and displaying the "One of more filed were archived". Is there anyway to edit it slightly so that "File not moved/found" message comes up only when it can't find a file on the list in the folder?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back