VBA programming strategy

ernieL

I have always written my VBA code using absolute cell references. A problem arises when I find it necessary to add a row or column after the program has been finished. The spreadsheet updates but the code behind it does not. This requires much rewriting of the code. There must be a better way, perhaps using relative references or names? I have not tried either of these since I lack some kind of guidance or example. Can any of you point me in the right direction?
Regards,
ernieL

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Been there, done that. There are a few ways to work around this. One of the things that I do from time to time is hide the first 100 rows of the worksheet I am using before I start my project. I can then use the hidden rows to embed lists, headers, whatever I might need to facilitate other things. For example, let's say that you use row 1 to put headers in for your columns of data. For example, cell D1 will have "Employee names" in it. Fast forward a bunch of work on the worksheet later. The header that was in D1 is now in L1 because of columns that have been moved. I can write code to search through row 1 and find the header I am looking for to identify the column that I need. The code will never need to be rewritten because it dynamically searches for the header rather than depend on a specific cell.

Another way to do this is to use constants. For example:

const EmployeeName as String = "D"

Range(EmployeeName & "150").Value = "Milton"

Now if you ever need to redefine that column, you just change the value in the constant expression.

I'm sure that there are a few other ways to do this, but these are the two I tend to use most often. I hope that this helps.

Upvote 0
Named ranges are a great way for VBA to interface with a worksheet, and they automatically adapt to insertions and deletions. Instead of referring to cells by address, you can reference them by name, e.g.,

Code:
Range("Input").ClearContents

See http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichealRed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back