VBA To Auto-Clear one slicer based on the selection of another slicer.

DavidT77

Is it possible to write code that clears one slicer based on the selection of another slicer? I have a Category and a Region slicer connected to several charts on a dashboard (in addition to several other slicers too). If I select Category 6 in the Category slicer, I want Excel to auto-clear the Region slicer so that it automatically shows all 4 Regions. Yea, even though it doesn't take much effort to click the red X on the Region slicer to clear it, it gets overlooked too easily by those consuming this dashboard.:ROFLMAO: Because of that, I want my dashboard to automatically "Clear Filter" for the Region slicer but only when/if Category 6 is selected. I'm still new-ish to VBA so any help is much appreciated!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
This isn't easy because no events are triggered when the user selects a slicer item, nor when the filtered rows change. One workaround is to use an Application.OnTime timer to see if the Category 6 item in the Category slicer is selected, however I'm not sure how well this code will work for you. Application.OnTime has a minimum interval of 1 second, so the user might see a slight lag between clicking Category 6 and the code clearing the Region slicer.

Put this code in ThisWorkbook module:

Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    StartTimer
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
    StopTimer
End Sub
Put this code in a new standard module:
Code:
Option Explicit

Public RunWhen As Double
Public Const cRunWhat = "Clear_Region_Slicer"

Public Sub StartTimer()
    RunWhen = Now + TimeSerial(0, 0, 1)
    Application.OnTime EarliestTime:=RunWhen, Procedure:=cRunWhat, Schedule:=True
End Sub

Public Sub Clear_Region_Slicer()
    With ThisWorkbook
        If .SlicerCaches("Slicer_Category").SlicerItems("Category 6").Selected Then
            .SlicerCaches("Slicer_Region").ClearManualFilter
        End If
    End With
    StartTimer  'Restart the timer
End Sub

Public Sub StopTimer()
    On Error Resume Next
    Application.OnTime EarliestTime:=RunWhen, Procedure:=cRunWhat, Schedule:=False
End Sub
Save, close and reopen the workbook (.xlsm or .xlsb) to test the code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow, so this comes extremely close to working. It actually does work by resetting the Region slicer whenever Category 6 is selected so that in itself is impressive. The issue now, though, is that it runs the macro every second when it really only needs to run it once when Cat 6 is first selected.

Is there a way to extend the timer time to say, 1, 5, 10, or even 20 mins but have it reset to 0 whenever Category 6 is selected in the Slicer? For what it's worth, these slicers and charts are connected to a Pivot Table on another sheet. I've been trying to work something akin to "If cell B2 on Sheet 2 = "Category 6" Then Clear Region_Slicer (or set Region = ALL)." Cell B2 on Sheet2 is the Category filter on the pivot table that controls the charts. There's another filter in B3 that selects for Region. That's the logic anyways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
See if this works better - it replaces all the code in the standard module.

Code:
Option Explicit

Public RunWhen As Double
Public Const cRunWhat = "Clear_Region_Slicer"
Public Category6Selected As Boolean

Public Sub StartTimer()
    RunWhen = Now + TimeSerial(0, 0, 1)
    Application.OnTime EarliestTime:=RunWhen, Procedure:=cRunWhat, Schedule:=True
End Sub

Public Sub Clear_Region_Slicer()
    Static init As Boolean
    With ThisWorkbook
        If Not init Then
            Category6Selected = .SlicerCaches("Slicer_Category").SlicerItems("Category 6").Selected
            init = True
        End If
        If Not Category6Selected Then
            If .SlicerCaches("Slicer_Category").SlicerItems("Category 6").Selected Then
                .SlicerCaches("Slicer_Region").ClearManualFilter
                Category6Selected = True
            End If
        Else
            If Not .SlicerCaches("Slicer_Category").SlicerItems("Category 6").Selected Then
                Category6Selected = False
            End If
        End If
    End With
    StartTimer  'Restart the timer
End Sub

Public Sub StopTimer()
    On Error Resume Next
    Application.OnTime EarliestTime:=RunWhen, Procedure:=cRunWhat, Schedule:=False
End Sub
Your If statement would be:
Code:
    If Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("B2").Value = "Category 6" Then ThisWorkbook.SlicerCaches("Slicer_Region").ClearManualFilter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back