VBA to find the maximum value against a single criteria

lopiteaux

Board Regular
I need to find the maximum value present in column AC against multiple instances of variable X in column D, and populate the value in column F.

For example (apologies, I cannot share a true dataset due to the confidential nature of the data):

Column D...Column F...Column AC
1ID...MaxSeverity...Severity
2A...50...10
3A...50...50
4B...30...20
5C...30...30
6A...50...40
7B...30...30
8B...30...30
9C...30...30
10D...50...50

<tbody>
</tbody>

I've got a solution which uses nested CountIfs, but it takes around 45s on a dataset of 10k rows and is, well, inelegant to say the least.

Any suggestions from the community?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Your post title refers to VBA but you stated that you'd tried nested COUNTIFs. If you're happy with a formula, try the below, confirm with ctrl+shift+enter:
=MAX(IF($D$2:$D$10=D2,$AF$2:$AF$10))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your post title refers to VBA but you stated that you'd tried nested COUNTIFs. If you're happy with a formula, try the below, confirm with ctrl+shift+enter:
=MAX(IF($D$2:$D$10=D2,$AF$2:$AF$10))

I'm using nested CountIfs in VBA:

Code:
        For r = 2 To Cells(Rows.Count, "I").End(xlUp).Row
            If .Cells(r, "A") = "Y" Then
                If WorksheetFunction.CountIfs(Columns(cId), .Cells(r, cId), Columns(cSeverity), "50") > 0 Then
                    .Cells(r, "F").Value = "50"
                Else
                    If WorksheetFunction.CountIfs(Columns(cId), .Cells(r, cId), Columns(cSeverity), "40") > 0 Then
                        .Cells(r, "F").Value = "40"
                    Else
                        If WorksheetFunction.CountIfs(Columns(cId), .Cells(r, cId), Columns(cSeverity), "30") > 0 Then
                            .Cells(r, "F").Value = "30"
                        Else: End If
                    End If
                End If
            Else
                .Cells(r, "F").Value = "NA"
            End If
        Next r

Upvote 0
No wonder it takes so long, running up to 3 COUNTIFs functions on 10,000 rows. Are you able to sort the data by column D and then column AC? If so, there's a much quicker way of determining the max value. Otherwise, I'd suggest writing the formula I gave you to all cells in column F.

Upvote 0
No wonder it takes so long, running up to 3 COUNTIFs functions on 10,000 rows. Are you able to sort the data by column D and then column AC? If so, there's a much quicker way of determining the max value. Otherwise, I'd suggest writing the formula I gave you to all cells in column F.

I'd prefer not to sort, but am happy to test it. What is your suggestion based on sorting? I want to avoid formulas in cells.

FYI, the same nested CountIf as a formula in cells takes around 8 seconds to complete.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd prefer not to sort, but am happy to test it. What is your suggestion based on sorting? I want to avoid formulas in cells.

FYI, the same nested CountIf as a formula in cells takes around 8 seconds to complete.

OK, assuming you've sorted on ID (A to Z) and Severity (largest to smallest), I would suggest something like this:

Code:
Sub Severity()
Dim c As Range
Dim lastRow As Long
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
With Sheets("Sheet1") ' change sheet name as required
    lastRow = .Cells(Rows.Count, 4).End(xlUp).Row

For Each c In Range(.Cells(2, 4), .Cells(lastRow, 4))
        If c = c.Offset(-1) Then
            .Cells(c.Row, 6) = .Cells(c.Row - 1, 6)
        Else
            .Cells(c.Row, 6) = .Cells(c.Row, 29)
        End If
    Next c
End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

If you want to preserve the original order of the data, my suggestion would be to include another column that starts at 1 in row 2 and increments down all the way to 10,000. You can then use VBA to sort the data, run the above code, and then re-sort it based on the helper column.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back