VBA/Turn Off Structure Protection (Not a PW issue) / Ex Employee Sabotage

Jill_Be_Chill

Hi Everyone! I want to thank / apologize to everyone for being new to all of this and for your patience. This forum seems friendlier than the the others!

We have a planning document that helps the social services system to prepare a foster child for permanent adoption. It’s an xlsm format. It’s being replaced this year by better software but here we are until then.

To be clear: I have the password and the VBA password. This isn’t a password issue.

A troubled employee, our IT and VBA guru was put on leave this week. He did massive damage to our adoption processes.

After 8+ hours of researching and crash learning VBA, here is my assumption and problem: Despite the presence of no password, the Structure Protection (SP) cannot be unchecked. Thus we cannot copy data into the workbook or the Output sheet out of the workbook to do our work.

If I uncheck SP I cannot click Okay. Enabling or disabling the Macros has 0 effect.

The document has no digital signature to be removed.

This is Day 1 of VBA for me. But in diving in and opening all the pages and modules in VBE, I have used the search function against many of the VBA functions one could use to accomplish this. I used many different blogs and articles to find search terms including this one: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3690793/how-to-protect-excel-workbook-using-vba

None of my searches came up with any of these terms exactly. It only found things in the “modules” of which there are four. There is a VBA entry with options for every sheet and one called thisworkbook. I scoured all those settings too.

The original developer is long gone. This man wants $10K to “fix it”. I have anxious parents and I’m close to tears.

Does anyone have any (kind) guidance for me?

Jill

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Jill. Welcome to the forum.. Firstly what version of Excel are you using ?
Have you checked each sheet module and "ThisWorkbook" modules as well ??
Also look for Hidden AND VeryHidden sheets...and check them for code as well ?
I'd suggest you then either post the code from the modules back here...OR upload the workbook to Dropbox or similar with a link to that file back here.
Remebering of course to remove ALL sensitive data !!

Have you also tried running your own code to unprotect the structure

Code:
Sub UProtect_Sheet()
    ActiveWorkbook.UnProtect Password:="YourPassword", Structure:=True, Windows:=True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
punka6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back