VBA vs Visual Studio

Kennaway

Hi Folks;

Bit of an abstract question about using Excel VBA or Visual Studio as a platform - what I'm really trying to ask is 'where is the tipping point' between Excel with forms and going to a software and database? How big can you take an Excel VBA application before it's too much to handle - limit on forms or amount of data/sheets?

I've been playing around with Excel VBA for awhile, and have tried Open/LibreOffice Calc and Base (Access equivalent). I found the Excel VBA interface much more user-friendly (in particular Form development), though I think if I stuck with it, I could write a decent solution with OpenOffice. Anyways - I'm wondering about the limit of developing excel based applications.

At what point in programming with Excel/VBA should I just take the plunge and start developing in Visual Studio? I don't have a lot of experience with VS or programming. If I'm just developing a program for my own nerdiness and home use, I'm sure Excel/VBA can do what I need. But if I wanted to develop a small business (<10 ppl) financial (ledger, invoices, etc.) / contacts / inventory / project management tool with form based data entry for administrative staff - what direction should I take?

I've debated between a single workbook versus a multi-workbook approach with central 'program' interface (i.e. the forms which enter into the various workbooks) versus developing an application interface with a database on a central networked drive.

Would love to read peoples thoughts on this, advantages/disadvantages, things to watch out for, long-term solutions, and limitations. With Visual Studio being free as of 2015 - I guess I'm just really wondering if I should drop 'playing' in excel, and start developing?

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back