Vertical Sparklines Bar Graph linked to cells - can you change Max value, using a Cell Reference ?

StrawberryDreams

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Mobile
I found an interesting way to create a Vertical bar like graph using sparklines instead of trying to physically drag and overlay a Table bar graph chart to line up with column cells.

I am wondering if there is a way to add a cell reference to the Maximum Value in the Vertical Sparklines Axes setting? I tried to enter an = A2 and it will only accept integers...

I can make a guess what the max value will be , but it would be more dynamic if it could adjust as the values change. Is this possible ?
Secondly I noticed in the Change sparklines color that the weight line option is greyed out, Is this because I'm on a MAC and it's only available for Windows ? Would love if the bars could fill the entire width of the column ( visually no gaps between columns ).

the xl2bb did not copy over the sparklines properly. I will post a screenshot of what it looks like too.

Basic data calculator test 9.9b.xlsm
ABCDE
1MAX Value20050125350
10500 is the set Maximum Value I placed in sparklines Vertical Axes
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2A2=MAX(B1:E8)

1715019422635.png

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
no, they are charts placed into cells. Make a chart, use ALT-drag to corners.
Ok thanks, Yes a bit tedious as you say, but maybe not much different then dragging and sizing an entire range of data in a chart and lining up to the cell references as I did before.

Ya I've found since I'm still learning that merged cells can cause data issues sometimes or incompatibility. When you are trying to design a nice looking spreadsheet that fits all the cells and column and balance it with other visual aids it can be a bit of a challenge... Not like my older Filemaker Days where you create every cell in its own box that you can move around . I guess this is what the VBA combo box gets into... I haven't tried to learn that yet. Still trying to develop my data to make sure it works . Then after will see if I need to change it to VBA or user form style ( if possible ).

Cheers

Upvote 0
For example. I have a dropdown data validation in my layout that has theee or four words in it. I want just above that dropdown to have 4 cells with numerical values in each cell. In order to have the drop down fit the text I need to merge all four cells. If I drag the drop down to allow the text to display, then the one cell above with a number is huge and the other cells to the right are off the layout lineup and much smaller.

Upvote 0
Here is the mini chart sized to fit the range of numbers below:

View attachment 111044
Can you show me a zoomed in look of your min chart with the grid lines on to see what the two chart box corners look like ? When I drag the plot box to the edge of the chart box it can still go past. Guess I should zoom to 200% and try again.

Upvote 0
Can you show me a zoomed in look of your min chart with the grid lines on to see what the two chart box corners look like ? When I drag the plot box to the edge of the chart box it can still go past. Guess I should zoom to 200% and try again.
select plot area
select format plot area

1715025713720.png

drag corners of plot area to corners of chart area:

(notice plot area still selected):
1715025835183.png

Select Chart Area to ALT - Drag to cells you want the chart in.
1715025927699.png

And finally, I just saw this: In Chart Format is "snap to grid", click that and the chart will resize as that cell is resized/moved.
But you have to certain the chart is in the cells, and it will resize proportionally, so all columns the chart covers must be the same width.
1715025998053.png

Upvote 1
For example. I have a dropdown data validation in my layout that has theee or four words in it. I want just above that dropdown to have 4 cells with numerical values in each cell. In order to have the drop down fit the text I need to merge all four cells. If I drag the drop down to allow the text to display, then the one cell above with a number is huge and the other cells to the right are off the layout lineup and much smaller.
All i can say to that is try to figure a different way. Once I have a dashboard set, I try to never move things around.

There are plenthy of visualizations videos on youtube. MyOnlineTrainingHub, Leila Gharani, ExcelIsFun, and Mr. Excel all have them.

Upvote 1
All i can say to that is try to figure a different way. Once I have a dashboard set, I try to never move things around.

There are plenthy of visualizations videos on youtube. MyOnlineTrainingHub, Leila Gharani, ExcelIsFun, and Mr. Excel all have them.
Cheers thanks for all your help , advice and links !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back