Viewing comments in Excel 2013 causes rows to get hidden

julyjustice

I am at least an intermediate Excel user, having used since the 1990s. I have a large worksheet containing many comments. In trying to go through the sheet and view them all with the objective of copying the information from each comment to a Word doc and then deleting all comments, I have used the 'Next' icon on the Review ribbon. Somehow doing this has caused many rows to be hidden. Using CTRL+A, then Format>unhide>unhide rows from the Cells area of the HOME ribbon does nothing. I even selected the entire worksheet and deleted all the comments at once, even though I had not been able to get to each one to copy it because I just wanted the rows to get unhidden.
The only way I was able to see all rows again was to select the entire sheet, go to the Sort & Filter area on the DATA ribbon, then clear all filters. I had already gone column by column to make sure no filters were set (the data is formatted as a table BTW) and none were. But somehow clearing all filters did reveal the hidden rows.
I am posting this because I have read many posts regarding hidden rows not being able to be unhidden on many different advice sites and none has addressed the issue when it involved looking at comments. If anyone knows what I should have done differently, I would still be glad to hear about it. I could try other suggestions on my backup copy. Basically, I think there are problems with using comments in worksheets and I am not going to do it anymore.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back