Vlookup error, certain text values not working in lookup.

sixfoot10

I am currently working with vlookup and getting some very strange results in Excel 2003.

ExcellScreenshot.jpg

The bottom row is a a vlookup to find information from a particular month listed above. This is eventually going to be built into a larger formula to show percentage change between 2 months.

The formula I am using in B6 is =vlookup($A$5,$A$2:$G$4,2)
the 2 is changed to 3 and so on for the appropriate columns

As you can see when I use the value of Jan 10 I have all 0's returned. If I chnage Jan 10 in F1 to Dec 09 or Feb 10 I get the values for the appropriate rows.

To add to the confusion If I change Jan 10 in the table and the lookup value to Jan or January it still does not work. I then tried a few random values in there and found the following. Der 10, duncan and egg work while book, march, josh and try do not.

The cells in column A are all set to Text.

The only changes I am making for my tests were substituting the values in column A. I also tried copying Jan 10 and using paste value but this produced the same results.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I am not sure what you are looking for but with given data, the vlookup is doing fine for me in Excel 03. Pl see attached:

<title>Excel Jeanie HTML</title>Sheet4

<table style="padding-right: 2pt; padding-left: 2pt; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Garamond,Arial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <colgroup> <col style="font-weight: bold; width: 30px;"> <col style="width: 56px;"> <col style="width: 56px;"> <col style="width: 62px;"> <col style="width: 56px;"> <col style="width: 56px;"> <col style="width: 56px;"> <col style="width: 56px;"></colgroup> <tbody> <tr style="font-weight: bold; font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;"> <td> </td> <td>A</td> <td>B</td> <td>C</td> <td>D</td> <td>E</td> <td>F</td> <td>G</td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">1</td> <td>Retailer</td> <td>header</td> <td>header</td> <td>header</td> <td>header</td> <td>header</td> <td>header</td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">2</td> <td style="text-align: right;">Dec-09</td> <td style="text-align: right;">0</td> <td style="text-align: right;">35</td> <td style="text-align: right;">248</td> <td style="text-align: right;">43</td> <td style="text-align: right;">7</td> <td style="text-align: right;">317</td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">3</td> <td style="text-align: right;">Jan-10</td> <td style="text-align: right;">0</td> <td style="text-align: right;">10</td> <td style="text-align: right;">276</td> <td style="text-align: right;">37</td> <td style="text-align: right;">1</td> <td style="text-align: right;">305</td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">4</td> <td style="text-align: right;">Feb-10</td> <td style="text-align: right;">0</td> <td style="text-align: right;">16</td> <td style="text-align: right;">178</td> <td style="text-align: right;">28</td> <td style="text-align: right;">2</td> <td style="text-align: right;">136</td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">5</td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td> </td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">6</td> <td style="text-align: right;">Jan-10</td> <td style="text-align: right;">0</td> <td style="text-align: right;">10</td> <td style="text-align: right;">276</td> <td style="text-align: right;">37</td> <td style="text-align: right;">1</td> <td style="text-align: right;">305</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table style="border-style: groove; border-color: rgb(0, 255, 0); font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Arial; background-color: rgb(255, 252, 249);"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Spreadsheet Formulas</td></tr> <tr> <td> <table style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Arial;" border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr style="font-size: 10pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202);"> <td>Cell</td> <td>Formula</td></tr> <tr> <td>B6</td> <td>=VLOOKUP($A$6,$A$2:$G$4,COLUMN(),0)</td></tr> <tr> <td>C6</td> <td>=VLOOKUP($A$6,$A$2:$G$4,COLUMN(),0)</td></tr> <tr> <td>D6</td> <td>=VLOOKUP($A$6,$A$2:$G$4,COLUMN(),0)</td></tr> <tr> <td>E6</td> <td>=VLOOKUP($A$6,$A$2:$G$4,COLUMN(),0)</td></tr> <tr> <td>F6</td> <td>=VLOOKUP($A$6,$A$2:$G$4,COLUMN(),0)</td></tr> <tr> <td>G6</td> <td>=VLOOKUP($A$6,$A$2:$G$4,COLUMN(),0)</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

BTW, I dont understand reference of A5 as lookup value in your formula.

Upvote 0
Switch to match-type 0 (FALSE)...

Either:

=VLOOKUP($A$5,$A$2:$G$4,2,0)

Or:

=INDEX(B$2:B$4,MATCH($A5,$A$2:$A$4,0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolasmith

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back