adelao747

Hello,

I am having an issue with looking-up a name using VLOOKUP. Essentially, I have a list of employees' names in a table. On a separate tab, I have another table where I am using the VLOOKUP function. I want to set-it-up by being able to type an employees ID number and get their name in the adjacent cell. I've only been able to get VLOOKUP to work if I type the employees name and get the ID number to pop-up in the adjacent cell. I want to do it the other way round, where when I type the ID number, the employees name comes-up. I'm using the standard VLOOKUP formula; =VLOOKUP(A1, Table6, 2, False). A1 is where the ID number is and B1 is where the employee name is. Does anyone know how I can type the ID number in A1 and get the employee name in B1?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
The criteria for vlookup (the 1st argument) must be in the 1st column of the vlookup range. vlookup cannot "look behind" itself. ie you cannot find something in C and return something from B
2 ways around this...
1. Create a helper column to the left of your data and reference the criteria range
2. (preferred) use INDEX/MATCH instead

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StorageQueen24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back