VLOOKUP: if match found insert cooresponding data in the same row, different column

lacey026

This is my first post...an ANY forum. I am also pretty new to formulas other than your basics. Here's my problem:

I used vlookup (with help) to find out if the vendor part number I have for a part matched the actual vendor part number for the same part. If it matched, it inserted that vendor part number.

Instead of it inserting the vendor part number when it is matched, I need a it to be replaced with my part number for that part. That data will come from the same row, different column that the vendor part number was located on.

I hope this makes sense. TIA!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I don't know if I should add that my part number is located on a different sheet in the same workbook than the formula is located.

Upvote 0
OK, so what is the VLOOKUP formula you are using at the moment? You just need to tweak it:

=VLOOKUP(lookup_value,lookup_array,column,false)

lookup_value - no change
lookup_array - needs to encompass the column where the data you wish to return is, so may need to be wider
column - needs to change to the number of the column within the lookup_array where the new return value is located, e.g. in the array $A$1:$D$8, A is column 1, B is 2, C is 3 and D is 4.

Upvote 0
OK, so what is the VLOOKUP formula you are using at the moment? You just need to tweak it:

=VLOOKUP(lookup_value,lookup_array,column,false)

lookup_value - no change
lookup_array - needs to encompass the column where the data you wish to return is, so may need to be wider
column - needs to change to the number of the column within the lookup_array where the new return value is located, e.g. in the array $A$1:$D$8, A is column 1, B is 2, C is 3 and D is 4.

This is the formula I'm using: =VLOOKUP(TEXT(G57,0),'sheet 5'!J:J,1,FALSE)

"Text" is there due to formatting, per my helper.

The "G57,0" is the data I need to match, the next section is on a different sheet referencing the ACTUAL data (which is only 1 column of data). Then if it matches, it needs to be replaced with data from the same row, different column as the ACTUAL data.

Upvote 0
OK, so the column you want to reference is before the one already in the VLOOKUP, so you are going to need to use an INDEX MATCH query instead. Without seeing the actual data, it's hard to give you exactly what you need, though.

Upvote 0
I think I understand what you mean. Instead of referencing the 1 column on sheet 5, I need to reference both the vendor part # data AND my part number data, then the column # needs to reference which column I want it replaced with. Yes? Do the columns have to be next to each other?

Upvote 0
The beauty of INDEX MATCH is that the columns don't have to be next to each other. It would be something like this:

=INDEX($B$2:$B12,MATCH(A1,$G$2:$G$12,0),0)

where the B range is the column of data where the return value is, A1 is the lookup value and the G range is the lookup range.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soumyahalder4

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back