VLOOKUP Loop

sscornav

Board Regular
I have an employee roster and need to fill in a value in column D of the person's ultimate boss that reports to the President.

To do this I think I would have to do a VLOOKUP, check to see if that person reported to the president, and if not do another VLOOKUP until I met the condition.

I need some help with the macro and loop. Please!!

Here is what the sheet looks like, I filled in the answers by manually calculating them in YELLOW, but I need to automate this.

Thanks, Steve

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1EmployeeSupervisorTypeGroup
2JoeFrankEmployeeFrank
3SallySteveContractorSteve
4MarySteveContractorSteve
5JeffFrankEmployeeFrank
6LaurenJeffContractorFrank
7KarenJeffEmployeeFrank
8MikeJoeContractorFrank
9FredFrankEmployeeFrank
10RonKarenContractorFrank
11BurtKarenContractorFrank
12RalphKyleEmployeeKyle
13FrankPresidentEmployeeFrank
14StevePresidentEmployeeSteve
15KylePresidentEmployeeKyle
Sheet1

OK, thanks. A couple of further questions.

1. Is the extra space only ever 1 space and immediately before the comma? Can it be more than one space? Can the extra space(s) turn upelsewhere? For example,
Hamlin*,**Susan***L where I have used * to represent a space.

2. You indicated previously you didn't want to change the name to eliminate the extra space(s). I'm wondering why that is? It would be simple to do a Find/Replace (either manually or as part of the code) in that first column to Find " ," and Replace with ","

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
I have found one or several spaces. The list is about 3500 people long. It seemed safest to compare the list without modifying them.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about not modifying the data to tidy up the spaces. I think I would be trying to standardise it. However, if that is representative data and leaving column A as is, try this:

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Ultimate_Boss()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rEmployees <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, rEmp <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, rSup <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, rTemp <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> aOrigData<br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rEmployees = Range("A2", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)) <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'<-- Change column if needed</SPAN><br>    aOrigData = rEmployees.Resize(, 2).Value<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> Replace_Data<br>    rEmployees.Resize(, 2).Replace What:=" ", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchFormat:=<SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> rEmp <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> rEmployees<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rSup = rEmp.Offset(, 1)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rTemp = rEmp<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Do</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">While</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> rSup.Value = "President" And <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> rSup = rTemp<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rTemp = rSup<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rSup = rEmployees.Find(What:=rTemp.Value, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, _<br>                    MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Offset(, 1)<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> Replace_Data<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Loop</SPAN><br><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> rSup = rTemp <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            rEmp.Offset(, 3).Value = "Not Found"<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>            rEmp.Offset(, 3).Value = Replace(rTemp.Value, ",", ", ")<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> rEmp<br>    <br>Replace_Data:<br>    rEmployees.Resize(, 2).Value = aOrigData<br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><br></FONT>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PatrickL

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back