Vlookup, Match, Wildcards, and Dates

mrsmcm

Vlookup, Match by Date with Wildcards!

Hi all, first time posting a new thread and hoping for any help!!

I'm trying to do a vlookup/match with wildcard, except that my lookup_value is a date, i.e. 12/18/2013, and my lookup_array is more in the form of "Cash Distribution - 12/18/2013" where the date would change with each distribution. Do I need to do anything specific because it's a date?

Formula: =VLOOKUP($C$7,'Raw data thru 6.30.17 (UTP)'!$B$1:$AA$107,MATCH("*"&'Distro Analysis by Investor'!C13&"*",'Raw data thru 6.30.17 (UTP)'!$G$1:$AA$1,0),FALSE)

VLOOKUP:
$C$7 = investor name
Range = lookup table, row 1 - Cash Distribution - 12/18/2013 (for example); column b, investor names

I know this first part works, as I have tested and confirmed so it has to be this second part.

MATCH: C13 = 12/18/2013
Raw data = G1 - G starts column dates start on - even if I switch this to B1, still doesn't work

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Mrsmcm​

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Can you define "Doesn't work" ?
Are you getting an error? What error?
Are you getting the wrong result? What result do you get? What result do you expect istead?

Upvote 0
Date is just a number to excel that is formatted to look like a date. Your Cash Distribution - 12/18/2013 is however text so to get the MATCH function to find a match you need to do something like:

=MATCH("*"&TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy")&"*",A3:E3,0)

where A1 holds your date and A3:E3 holds your potential matches.

Upvote 0
So C13 is a DATE
But you're trying to match it against a text string containing that date, like Cash Distribution - 12/18/2013

The problem is that the date is really just a serial number, cell formatting makes it look like a date.

Try changing that match function to
MATCH("*"&TEXT('Distro Analysis by Investor'!C13,"mm/dd/yyyy")&"*",'Raw data thru 6.30.17 (UTP)'!$G$1:$AA$1,0)

Upvote 0
Jonmo, thanks for your response. The initial issue I was having, was the formula was returning #N/A. What I want to get is what the investors distribution was on that date, where I'm pulling from a large dump of data from another program.

Upvote 0
Steve, thanks for your response. I updated with your corrections and now it seems to be pulling the investor name in, not the distribution amount. The updated formula is below.

=VLOOKUP($C$7,'Raw data thru 6.30.17 (UTP)'!$B$1:$AA$107,MATCH("*"&TEXT(C13,"mm/dd/yyyy")&"*",'Raw data thru 6.30.17 (UTP)'!$G$1:$AA$1,0),FALSE)

C7 - investor name
Raw data - B1 - starts the investor names on the raw data tab
C13 - date of distribution

Upvote 0
Which column (Letter) are you wanting to return the value from?
I would think you probably want the match range to begin in column B

Upvote 0
Your problem now appears to be your lookup range is $B$1:$AA$107 whilst your match range is $G$1:$AA$1. They should both start at B1 id imagine.

Upvote 0
Fantastic! Thank you both so much. My last question, which I didn't think of initially, is there a way to do an OR function with MATCH? My other dates don't necessary start with a 0, i.e. 5/24/2014, which then results in the formula not working unless I delete one of the m's.

Upvote 0
What about the day part of the string, will it also drop to only single digit?
July 4th would be 7/4/2017

?

If so just change mm/dd/yyyy to m/d/yyyy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back