Vlookup not displaying dates

danlero

Good morning
I am not very familiar with vlookup....everything works on my formulas except for the one containing a date.
Instead of pulling up a date, it pulls up a random number. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Hello doctor, I don't feel well today.
What is wrong with me?

Is that the garage? My car don't work.
What do you think the trouble is?

Supply the formula for crying out loud or shall we simply guess?
Look at the posts by other people on this forum.
They supply a clear description of the problem and any formulas they have used.
Some even supply a sample spreadsheet.

Post a sample spreadsheet with expected results, remove any sensitive data, create a mockup example if necessary.
You cant attach files on this forum. There are tools on this forum for adding small spreadsheet images

Attachments

Or upload the file to an online storage site and post a link to it, though some people may not download the file for fear of viruses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whilst I agree with the sentiment of Special-K99's post, I feel its a bit overly sarcastic for a reply to a first-time poster.

Anyway, I'll have a shot at a guess:
If the 'random' number is coming up as something like 42947 (which is todays date in internal excel representation), then it is finding a date - you just need to format the cell with the result in as a date format.

Otherwise, do what Special-K99 suggests and give us enough information to work from.

Regards
John

Upvote 0
Hello doctor, I don't feel well today.
What is wrong with me?

Is that the garage? My car don't work.
What do you think the trouble is?

Supply the formula for crying out loud or shall we simply guess?
Look at the posts by other people on this forum.
They supply a clear description of the problem and any formulas they have used.
Some even supply a sample spreadsheet.

Post a sample spreadsheet with expected results, remove any sensitive data, create a mockup example if necessary.
You cant attach files on this forum. There are tools on this forum for adding small spreadsheet images

Attachments

Or upload the file to an online storage site and post a link to it, though some people may not download the file for fear of viruses.[

=VLOOKUP(J5,Data!L:X,13)

This is the formula I am using which refers to the acquisition date of a piece of equipment

Upvote 0
Formula looks simple enough, as jmacleary says if it's returning a 5-digit number then that's the date, you just need to format the cell.

It's better to replace L:X with a row limit,e,g. L1:X100000 than use the whole columns like L:X

Upvote 0
This is the date from the corresponding cell

04/17/07
<colgroup><col width="125" style="width: 94pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4571;"> <tbody> </tbody>

I get 42776

Formula looks simple enough, as jmacleary says if it's returning a 5-digit number then that's the date, you just need to format the cell.

It's better to replace L:X with a row limit,e,g. L1:X100000 than use the whole columns like L:X

Upvote 0
42776 si 02/10/2017

04/17/2007 is 39189.

Prob best post the spreadsheeet.

Remove any sensitive data, create a mockup example if necessary.

Attachments

Or upload the file to an online storage site and post a link to it, though some people may not download the file for fear of viruses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I changed the format of the cell and the proper information is displayed.
Thank you for the help.....and sorry for my lack of knowing the ins and outs of the community.[

THanks
D

QUOTE=Special-K99;4879750]42776 si 02/10/2017

04/17/2007 is 39189.

Prob best post the spreadsheeet.

Remove any sensitive data, create a mockup example if necessary.

Attachments

Or upload the file to an online storage site and post a link to it, though some people may not download the file for fear of viruses.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
I apologise as well.
It's just very frustrating when someone posts a brief description without any formulas or spreadsheet or other information.
It makes it almost impossible to solve.

Nevertheless I'm happy that the problem is resolved.

Upvote 0
All's well that ends well. Glad everyones happy - I am too.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdahsankhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back