vlookup returns 0 and 1900 date in range of cells when only 1 has been filled in.

GodzFire

I have the following setup: Each of my cells does a vlookup for a matching record in either of 2 other source data tabs. If it finds a match, it puts them in the associated cells. When the Date Replaced cell is filled in with a date, an 'x' is entered into the associated S column, via a conditional formatting formula.
NZ1QLRw.jpg

Discovered problem: If someone enters just 1-3 of the 4 pieces of information in one of the 2 other source data tabs but leave the others blank, Excel will still fill the remaining ones left, but with either 0s for text and 1900 for date, which then triggers the conditional formatting and puts the 'x' in column S when it shouldn't. I'm not sure how to make it so the other ones don't trigger / stay blank until something is actually inputted into them.

Here are my forumulas. Also if there is a better formula to accomplish what I am trying to do, I am totally open.
O: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C144,FYInv!L:O,3,FALSE),VLOOKUP(C144,'FY18 Ref'!L:O,3,FALSE))
P: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C144,FYInv!L:O,1,FALSE),VLOOKUP(C144,'FY18 Ref'!L:O,1,FALSE))
Q: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C144,FYInv!L:O,2,FALSE),VLOOKUP(C144,'FY18 Ref'!L:O,2,FALSE))
R: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C144,FYInv!L:O,4,FALSE),VLOOKUP(C144,'FY18 Ref'!L:O,4,FALSE))
S: =IF(ISNUMBER(R144),"x","")

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C144,FYInv!L:O,3,FALSE),VLOOKUP(C144,'FY18 Ref'!L:O,3,FALSE))
if the first vlookup returns an errror them it will do the error lookup
and if that is an error

use another iferror

IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C144,FYInv!L:O,3,FALSE),iferror(VLOOKUP(C144,'FY18 Ref'!L:O,3,FALSE),""))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
there maybe a better way
but perhaps an IF testing the previous cell for a zero, would zero be a valid entry though ?

Upvote 0
how does the result from vlookup return a zero?, should be n/a unless some entries are valid but the lookup is blank
is that the case in your example post 3

Upvote 0
That's correct, that's the issue I am running into. If say only one field from O-R is filled in, but the rest are left blank, it will fill the rest in with 0/1900 which it shouldn't.

Upvote 0
i'm sure there id a much better way
BUT testing for a result of zero from the lookup
=IF(IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,H1:J4,3,FALSE),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,H1:J4,3,FALSE),""))=0,"",IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,H1:J4,3,FALSE),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,H1:J4,3,FALSE),"")))

Upvote 0
I guess I'm a little confused. How does the above formula look at the two other tabs for data? I don't see FYInv and 'FY18 Ref' anymore in the formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back