VLOOKUP + SUM or SUMIF?

jod227

I have 3 lists each with 2 columns. Within the 2nd column of each are values I need to be added together. The keys within each lists' left column are mostly matching, however each list has its own variation (ex. on might have a unique key within their left column, different than the others).

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

I need to obtain and match the sum with each key on the left. I've tried summing each vlookup but it doesn't seem to work. Any guidance would greatly help on this.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
BTW the lists are next to each other in the spreadsheet, not within the same columns as they are here. Just couldn't figure out how to make that happen in the post

Upvote 0
That's very good, thanks! However would that formula return the exact same result as this?

=SUM(((VLOOKUP(B3,$B$3:$C$922,2,FALSE))+VLOOKUP(B3,$I$3:$J$921,2,FALSE))+VLOOKUP(B3,$O$3:$P$927,2,FALSE))

Upvote 0
YES.
You can use VLOOKUP function.
It's not necessary to use the SUM function.
=VLOOKUP(B3,$B$3:$C$922,2,FALSE)+VLOOKUP(B3,$I$3:$J$921,2,FALSE)+VLOOKUP(B3,$O$3:$P$927,2,FALSE)

But in this case:
a) Each number, 1 or 2 or 4 can appears ONLY one time on each left column.
b) You must use an error control on each VLOOKUP functions to avoid a N/A ERROR and unvalidate your formula.

Have a nice day.
--
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Marcílio Lobão

Upvote 0
I have 3 lists each with 2 columns. Within the 2nd column of each are values I need to be added together. The keys within each lists' left column are mostly matching, however each list has its own variation (ex. on might have a unique key within their left column, different than the others).

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

I need to obtain and match the sum with each key on the left. I've tried summing each vlookup but it doesn't seem to work. Any guidance would greatly help on this.

I'm not sure I'm following. What result(s) are you looking for? Could you give an example?

Matty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoToLeep

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back