Vlookup VBA Alternative

helpexcel

Is there a quicker way to use vlookup with VBA. I have a lot of data that I would just use vlookup with, across multiple sheets. Hoping there's a way to speed things up. THANKS!

The "In" on my naming convention just signifies "input" array. I often have another array named outarr, which is the output array. As you have noticed I don't declare variables unless absolutely necessary. Declaring inarr as variant is totally unnecessary because the next line where it is loaded from the range in the worksheet means it must be a variant array, and the range determines the dimensions. So to my thinking the declaration line is a waste of space. I see lots of code on this forum with longs lists of variable declaration at the start and then just a few lines of code. I feel the declarations make the code more difficult to read. It is so easy to skip over an important line thinking it is just one of the declarations. I feel that the way you have declared the variables in fixer is exactly a case in point, the declaration statement makes it much harder to see what each variable is loading!!
I think this is much easier to read and certainly means a lot less typing (the keyboard typing), Notice that the variable names are nicely placed starting on the left , rather than being buried in two places within a statement
Code:
Lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
Run = Range(Cells(1, 59), Cells(Lastrow, 59))
ProjectID = Range(Cells(1, 6), Cells(Lastrow, 6))
TaskID = Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(Lastrow, 1))
StartDate = Range(Cells(1, 36), Cells(Lastrow, 36))
EndDate = Range(Cells(1, 37), Cells(Lastrow, 37))
In answer to your query yes there is a very easy way to compare times for doing things this code shows you how:

Code:
Sub timertest2()
Dim StartTime As Double
Dim Elapsed As Double
For i = 1 To 10
 For j = 1 To 6
  Cells(i, j) = 0
 Next j
Next i

StartTime = Timer
For i = 1 To 10
 For j = 1 To 6
  Cells(i, j) = Cells(i, j) + 1
 Next j
Next i

Elapsed = (Timer - StartTime)
MsgBox ("looping thru cells =" & Elapsed)

StartTime = Timer

inarr = Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(10, 6))
For i = 1 To 10
 For j = 1 To 6
  inarr(i, j) = inarr(i, j) + 1
 Next j
Next i
Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(10, 6)) = inarr
Elapsed = (Timer - StartTime)
MsgBox ("looping thru cells =" & Elapsed)

End Sub
Note my declaration of the doubles this is because I need to declare these as double to get the precision. So these declarations are really telling me something!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
As you have noticed I don't declare variables unless absolutely necessary. Declaring inarr as variant is totally unnecessary because the next line where it is loaded from the range in the worksheet means it must be a variant array, and the range determines the dimensions. So to my thinking the declaration line is a waste of space.

I was getting an error and it wouldn't run until I declared it.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have a similar problem as above.
I have an index match function that matches an input range with a translation table to obtain the correct fields. I wish to do this process using Array functions as the current process is to slow. I have pasted the current code below. Would this be easily translatable to an array function?

VBA Code:
Set type = Range("type")
Set table= Range("table")
Set Source= Range("Source")
Set headers= Range("headers")
i = 2
j = 2
lMaxRow = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("TEST").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row - 23
lMaxCol = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("translation").Cells(2, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
    Do While i < lMaxRow
    a = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("TEST").Cells(i + 24, 12).Value
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("output").Cells(i, 1).Value = a
        Do While j < 180
        b = Application.Index(source, i, Application.Match(Application.Index(table, Application.Match(a, type, 0), j), header, 0))
        ThisWorkbook.Sheets("output").Cells(i, j).Value = b
        j = j + 1
        Loop
    j = 2
    i = i + 1
    Loop

End Sub

Upvote 0
This is very suitable to do using variant arrays, which will be much faster. I can't actually write the at the moment because i don't have access to a pc. Note variant arrays are not the same as an array function

Upvote 0
Okay I will look into that and come back. Thanks for your quick response!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back