vlookups slowing down my computer

Retrum

I have created a spreadsheet with mulitple tabs each tab has vlookups back to a main data tab. I have added quite a few tabs with a lot of vlookups. All of the sudden Excel is really slowing down and in the bottom right corner it does calculating cells with a %. It does this everytime I do something on my spreadsheet. Takes about 30 seconds to do. :devilish:

I have tried breaking my spreadsheet up into 2 different files and get the same results.

Any suggestions?

If I have manual updates on my computer and I send this file to somebody and they open it will it keep the manual update feature or will it start update automatically?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Thanks I will check it out. The manual calc is working much better thanks.

Did you also consider switching to lookup formulas with the match-type set 1 for you probably have an Access output sorted in ascending order?

Upvote 0
I am not really sure what match-type set 1 is. Do you have an example?

Does this counter-question means that the data area is indeed sorted (or sortable) in ascending order on its first column? If the answer is yes, what is the current lookup formula that you use?

Upvote 0
It is sorted in the 1st column. My formula may be a bid ugle but I have a lot of different data.

Here is one example

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B11&"Mgmt Fees"&I$8&$U$8&$AJ$8,Data!$A$6:$O$30915,15,FALSE)),0,(VLOOKUP($B11&"Mgmt Fees"&I$8&$U$8&$AJ$8,Data!$A$6:$O$30915,15,FALSE)))

$B11&"Mgmt Fees"&I$8&$U$8&$AJ$8=1Mgmt FeesJuneActual2007
which is the code assigned for that particular value.

Upvote 0
It is sorted in the 1st column. My formula may be a bid ugle but I have a lot of different data.

Here is one example

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B11&"Mgmt Fees"&I$8&$U$8&$AJ$8,Data!$A$6:$O$30915,15,FALSE)),0,(VLOOKUP($B11&"Mgmt Fees"&I$8&$U$8&$AJ$8,Data!$A$6:$O$30915,15,FALSE)))

$B11&"Mgmt Fees"&I$8&$U$8&$AJ$8=1Mgmt FeesJuneActual2007
which is the code assigned for that particular value.

Does this

=IF(LOOKUP($B11&"Mgmt Fees"&I$8&$U$8&$AJ$8,Data!$A$6:$A$30915)=$B11&"Mgmt Fees"&I$8&$U$8&$AJ$8,LOOKUP($B11&"Mgmt Fees"&I$8&$U$8&$AJ$8,Data!$A$6:$A$30915,Data!$O$6:$O$30915),0)

perform better?

Upvote 0
I will have to change all my formulas to test. Should this be less strain on the system? If so why is it better?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back