Weighted Averages and vlookup help (grade sheet)

burgeon

I'm a teacher, and I'm trying to set up a simple sheet to track my grades. I have the basic framework set, but I need a little help with a couple of details - I hope someone can help.

To start, I set up a table with:
Column A: Grades A-F (Rows 1-12, with B+, B-, etc.)
Column B: Corresponding grade points (A=4, A-=3.7, A-/B+=3.5, B+=3.3, etc)

My students have three exams and a participation grade. The exams are essays, so they only receive a letter grade.

Next to each name, I have four lines, two colums each. I've put in a drop-down for a letter grade for each exam and participation, and entered a VLOOKUP to pull the correct grade point next to each grade.

So here's what I'm trying to do:

1. Create a formula calculating an average of all three grades, with the exams weighted 30% each and the participation weighted 10%. (I should mention here that I am NOT a math teacher!)
2. Once I have that weighted average, I need a formula that will select the grade from my vlookup columns.

Obviously, most of the averages won't be exact matches to my grade points, so I need my formula to select the highest grade for the average. Therefore, if the average is 2.9, my returned result will be "B-"(2.7), not "B"(3.0). I may adjust grades up and down, but I want to have a calculation of the hard numbers for my consideration.

I hope this isn't too much to ask, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Okay, so I just solved the weighting issue the hard way, by multiplying each exam grade point by three, adding them together with the single participation grade, and dividing by ten, but does anyone know how to solve the issue with getting the formula to select the grade based on the GPA? Thanks...

Upvote 0
I'm not able to post using an html table, but I think I can describe it like this:

.........A..........B

1........A.........4.0
2........A-........3.7
3......A-/B+.....3.5
4.......B+.........3.3
5.......B...........3.0
6.......B-..........2.7
7.......C+.........2.3
8.......C...........2.0
9.......C-..........1.7
10.....D+..........1.3
11......F...........0.0

So, in this example are the GPA's I'm working with are in A13, A14, A15, A16, A17
In B13, B14, B15, B16, B17 I want ot have formulas that look up the letter grade based on the above chart. The results I'm looking for would be:
B13= B
B14= A-/B+
B15= A-
B16= F
B17= C+

Sorry about the lack of a data table!

Upvote 0
I'm still trying to work through this issue, but I still can't use the html chart to post data - can anyone help? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Consider making your Lookup Table like the following

0 F
1.3 D+
1.7 C-
2 C
2.3 C+
2.7 B-
3 B
3.3 B+
3.5 B++
3.7 A-
4 A

and use a formula

=LOOKUP(A13,$A$1:$B$11)

or

=LOOKUP(A13,{0,"F";1.3,"D+";1.7,"C-";2,"C ";2.3,"C+";2.7,"B-";3,"B";3.3,"B+";3.5,"B++";3.7,"A-";4,"A "})

Upvote 0
I'm not able to post using an html table, but I think I can describe it like this:

.........A..........B

1........A.........4.0
2........A-........3.7
3......A-/B+.....3.5
4.......B+.........3.3
5.......B...........3.0
6.......B-..........2.7
7.......C+.........2.3
8.......C...........2.0
9.......C-..........1.7
10.....D+..........1.3
11......F...........0.0

So, in this example are the GPA's I'm working with are in A13, A14, A15, A16, A17
In B13, B14, B15, B16, B17 I want ot have formulas that look up the letter grade based on the above chart. The results I'm looking for would be:
B13= B
B14= A-/B+
B15= A-
B16= F
B17= C+

Sorry about the lack of a data table!

Try...

B13, copied down:

=INDEX($A$1:$A$11,MATCH(A13,$B$1:$B$11,-1)+(INDEX($B$1:$B$11,MATCH(A13,$B$1:$B$11,-1))<>A13))

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whatdoido

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back