what to do after excel. VBA

fredrerik84

Hi guys I think my current excel project is getting to complex for excel to handle unfortunately I know nothing aboyt making an application.

Im looking for recommendations for what to do next:

What should I download? I was thinking programming language should be similar to excel vba, so far Ive heard about python, c++ and C#
which should I use ?

What do I need to make an windows application .exe file? where should I start ?

Any help at all would be great

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I'd take a look at the visual studio stuff and tinker with the example codes if you want a GUI otherwise most DIY'ers do seem to recommend python from all the stuff I saw when looking to make my own exe programs. Still haven't actually got round to fully starting but went with visual studio as it seemed the most intuitive for having a GUI and also the non pro version is free and lots of example code around.

www.visualstudio.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Without knowing what your project is it's kind of hard to recommend what you should do next.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for both of your replies

Without knowing what your project is it's kind of hard to recommend what you should do next.
- My current project is like a complete sports package. Which Graphs/stats and information about current sporting events (also a log over past games)
- Currency calculators
- lots of graphs
- Most information is scraped trough the net from around 10 different pages. but more to come

For the most part all of this works just fine in excel. But I really dont think Im using excel in the way its intended :) The problem areas I have in excel is:

- Icon really slows it down. (the workaround have been to flush the icons I use after 200 rows or so)
- Also scraping Java script pages seams to be a problem (I know there are some workarounds..)
- And I just want to get rid of the excel stuff as its not really needed for anything

I'd take a look at the visual studio stuff and tinker with the example codes .

- Is that what is called #C ? what about python, or c++ ? to many choices...

Upvote 0
What Excel stuff isn't being used?

Surely you are using Excel for the graphs and calculations/calculators.

Upvote 0
yes you are right about that, - but I really want to make all of this in an standalone application if I can handle that...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back