When is unique actually unique? Formula answer please.

Tony Bradshaw

I have an externally derived and enforced database reference key that uses a mixture of numeric and alpha characters to produce unique strings for database records. So far so good, it does work in their world and in mine other than when I want to check the occurrences of the key, say, in a list of calls where the key for the person will be repeated corresponding to the number of calls in a given period.
The problem I have is that all the Excel methods I have tried to count occurences are unable to distinguish between 2 codes that have the same characters but in one of them one or more characters is UPPER case and in the other LOWER case.
For eaxmple: WUKE0000000h and WUKE0000000H
Both are considered identical by COUNITF, by FREQUENCY and by various other devilishly clever formulae that I have found in various forums on-line.
In my database suppliers world these strings are NOT identical and refer to totally separate and different records, for example, 2 different individuals or 2 different places geographically far from each other and NOT to be confused.
I do not want to have to write VBA code or user-defined formulae as the answer.
Is there a simple Excel formula-driven answer that can distinguish these strings?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Try this array formula:

=SUM(--EXACT(B2,C2:C6))

where B2 contains the person key you want to find the occurrences of, and C2:C6 the range of person keys to search (adjust the range to suit).

Chris

Upvote 0
Brilliant - it works. I knew there would be answer but I would have looked for a long time to find one this simple. All the other answers I found a) did not work and b) were fiendishly complicated by comparison.Thank you both.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back