Where is the name of a form Button?

USAMax

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have been writing Excel over 10 years and I have never had the need to create a form but I have always used a Form Button.

Now I need to be able to change the name of a form button and I don't know how to get into the form controls.

I know this is a basic question but can someone help me find the button properties?

Dave

My apologies to Rick and my thanks to Xenou.

I assumed the Name Box was the one over the Button and the box just left of the Formula Bar has always shown the Cell Position. I've been doing this too long to learn new tricks, sorry Rick.

Thank you Xenou for reiterating what Rick said with an image.

And additional thanks to everyone else that weighed in!

Dave

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Thank you Rick but I am not trying to change the display information to say, "Click Here" I am trying to change the name of the button from, "Button 5" to "Button 3".

I have had a number of people who have told me to right click and choose properties but that is not an option in Excel 2010 for the form button within the normal view of Excel. I need to edit the name of the button for programing reasons.

You are probably aware that there are two sets of controls for buttons, text boxes, list boxes, comboboxes, etc. One the Forms controls and the other the ActiveX controls. The ActiveX controls are the ones that you can right click and access the properties dialogue box to change any and all properties of the control. However, the Forms controls, which are the original controls for Excel, have limited access to their properties through manual means. When you right click on a forms control, it will give you a very limited number of options. But, there are alternative methods of accessing some of the properties and Rick's suggestion is one of those means. The Name box at the upper left of the grid area in Excel is the place to assign and change object names. The name of a selected object appears in that field and if the name appearing there is deleted with a new name being typed in before the selection is changed, then the new name will apply to the selected object. Try it, you can name a cell, a range of cells, a preformed object or a control by selecting the item, delete the current name and type a new name in the box.

Upvote 0
^^ Right, except that I have never found typing a new name into the name box deletes the name given to a cell (or cells). It just creates the new name -- and now the cell has two names.

Upvote 0
Changing the name of a button from the Forms menu on a Mac can be done by right clicking on the button (this selects the button rather than activating it), NOT selecting anything from the drop down menu, but entering the desired name in the Name Box to the left of the formula edit box. (Tab works to exit the name box.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back