Why does seemingly simple VBA make my workbook randomly crash?

McMasher

Board Regular
I've dug and dug and dug online to try and solve this before coming here, so I hope someone can help me.

I have really simple vba in this report to auto apply a couple of filters to the data by clicking a button. At some point, something happened that made it so when I opened the file, I could move around, scroll, cycle through report tabs, but as soon as I try to save the document (Ctrl+S or otherwise) or if I click Ctrl + F the excel workbook crashes.

I was able to solve this issue by simply deleting my vba out of the workbook...which tells me that my vba is the problem...but I have no idea what the problem could be. Consequently I can re-copy my vba code from notepad back into the excel workbook module and save, and everything works fine...

Excel 2013 64 bit

VBA:

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub CoreItemNeedFilter()

On Error Resume Next
    ActiveSheet.Range("$A$12:$AI$30000").AutoFilter

ActiveSheet.Range("$A$12:$AI$30000").AutoFilter Field:=5, Criteria1:=Array( _
        "Core Item Buffer", "PO Need with Buffer", "Purchase Order Need"), Operator:= _
        xlFilterValues

End Sub

Sub RegularItemNeedFilter()

On Error Resume Next

ActiveSheet.Range("$A$12:$AI$30000").AutoFilter Field:=5, Criteria1:="Purchase Order Need", Operator:=xlFilterValues

End Sub

Sub ClearFilter()

On Error Resume Next

End Sub

Sub RefreshPivots()

Calculate
Do Until Application.CalculationState = xlDone
    DoEvents
Loop

Workbooks("Inventory Plan.xlsm").RefreshAll

End Sub

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
On first blush I'm wondering what the RefreshPivots is doing? The autofilter subs are not out of line. Get rid of this and see if the problem persists:
Code:
Do Until Application.CalculationState = xlDone
    DoEvents
Loop

Replace with Application.CalculateFull

Upvote 0
Thanks Jeff. I'll try switching that line of code and see what happens. If Application.CalculateFull is a more efficient way to keep the vba from running before the sheet is fully calculated then I have a lot of other, more complex macros that could use some cleaning so thank you for that little tidbit either way!

Also the RefreshPivots subroutine is refreshing all of the pivotcaches of the Inventory Plan sheet (a quick pivotcaches.count revealed that there are 4 pivot caches within the workbook itself). I have it calculate first just in case there are formulas in a data set that haven't been re-calculated yet...I realize that this could be just as easily done by hitting F9 and going to the Data tab and clicking refresh all...but those are precious half-seconds that no one has these days ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoffk036

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back