.xlsm files won't open, Excel 2016 stops working.

mmacdougall

We have some .xlsm files we use at the office. All of a sudden when we try to open them, Excel stops working and won't open. It then places the file we tried to open on the disabled list. I've tried it now on 4 users machines and it's doing it for all of them. I imagine it's because of an update, just not sure what to do as we use these .xlsm files for each project.

We are using Excel 2016

That workaround didnt work for me. Once the file is disabled for some reason, any time I try to open excel, it keeps trying to open the disabled file. then crashes

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Did you remove the disabled file from the disabled list? I am on windows 10 excel office 2016 version 1704
1. start excel
2. click blank workbook
3. click file
4. click options
5.click add ins
6. click arrow at Manage
7. select disabled item
8. click go
9. click the file name to be reinstated
10. click enable
11. from file click the name of the excel code file

Upvote 0
the problem is, after I try to open the micro enabled file, and excel crashes, i cannot open excel again. each time I do, it automatically tries to open the file that crashed, so i cant get to the disabled list.

is there a way to open these files without running the code?

Upvote 0
If you have an excel file without code try to open that file first. If it starts excel you should be able to get to the disabled list. I had to use a xls file that was not macro enabled the first time to get excel to run so I could clear things and then load my macro enabled file from within excel.

Upvote 0
Great, glad it got you up and running. I don't know of a list of updates. The source of this problem must be in a fairly recent update because I routinely ported xlsm files from 7 to 10 for the past year or more. Just started seeing the problem last week. Microsoft community web site may have an answer. 'm not a member of that board. best of luck

Upvote 0
@mmacdougall
Could you post a screen shot of "About Microsoft Excel" dialog box?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's Microsoft Office Home and Business 2016

Version 1704 (Build 8067.2115 Click-to-run)

I put it back to an older build on another machine and everything works. So it was definitely an MS update that caused the issues.

Upvote 0
Each update will have an associated KB (Knowledge Base) article. Those can be looked up at https://support.microsoft.com
In Windows Update window there is usually a link to the KB to review before installing any update.

Also see:
https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...releases-ae942449-1fca-4484-898b-a933ea23def7

A number of articles (also in the Micorosft Suppport site) referring to BEX issues report varying success with running the application as Administrator or turning of the DEP. These solutions may depend heavily on your OS.
I didn't see any mention of third party anti-virus software in any of those articles but I have had other issues caused by such. My personal machines use Microsoft Defender without any issues, but my office's 3rd party provider has created printing and application issues.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back