Extract information from a table that meet certain criteria

Kyletok

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help me accomplish something I am trying to get ready for work.

essentially I am trying to do what ExcelIsFun accomplished in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bGKhbUYOas&t=1s

I tried to do what he did but I kept getting #REF , I wanted to download his worksheet and play with it but I am using Excel 2016, and his files are not compatible.

What I am trying to do is this: I want to have a table that will take information from another table that meets a certain criteria.
so in a cell I will have a data validation list for the 5 main stores, and depending on what store is in that cell, the table will update with all the rows that meet the criteria (where the store is that what is in the cell). its similar to Advance Filter but I am trying to make it so the people who use it will only have access to information about those 5 stores, since the main table has a lot more stores that are not relevant to the people I am preparing this sheet for, and I want this sheet to take information from an excel file I will upload to our drive, so its important what they have will always be able to update incase we add another row for one of the 5 stores in the master list.

there are other reasons and things I am planning to do once I figure out how to create this table.

example:

NamePurchase
ArielExample Item1
Alona
Example Item2
ArielExample Item3
ArielExample Item4
ScottExample Item5

<tbody>
</tbody>

so the above is the master table, and in the lookup cell I type "Ariel", so the new table I am working on should then automatically change to this.

NamePurchase
ArielExample Item1
ArielExample Item3
ArielExample Item4

<tbody>
</tbody>

I know its possible since the guy did it in the video, but I'm not sure if its possible using the tables in excel 2016.

regardless, when I tried to do what the guy did above, I got #REF .
if anyone has anything like this for excel 2016, please send it to me so i can see how it works and try to edit it.

thanks everyone!

@FDibbins
i tried that but it didn't work if I tried for look for anything other than AA, not sure why.

@
Aladin Akyurek
that gets rid of duplicates perfectly, but it doesn't filter them out.

the only solution I have in mind right now is to have 3 tables; the master data table, the one that merges duplicates, and the final one that allows auto filter.
- is there anyway to accomplish the 2 last tables in one table? otherwise I guess I would just have to do the three table approach.

thanks,

What is the output exactly that you want given the input the formula considers?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Ok this got a bit messy, but try this in the helper column, copied down
D2=-SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$6=A2),--($B$2:$B$6=B2),--($C$2:$C$6<0))+COUNTIFS($A$2:$A2,A2,$B$2:$B2,B2,$C$2:$C2,">0")
so close I actually thought it was perfect until i tried a few things
NameLocationNumber of StoresAANameLocationNumber of Stores
aaToronto10aaToronto2
aaToronto11aaToronto2
aaToronto-21

<tbody>
</tbody>
still doesnt seem to work properly, as u can see it should add up to 0 and therefore not show.

What is the output exactly that you want given the input the formula considers?

alright I will try to explain as best as I could:

There is a large list of Clients, and every client has one or more account in one of the locations. every time a client deactivates an account we remove it by adding a new entry with the client's name, location, and a -1 for number of accounts. I want to prepare a document that will automatically update depending on which client I give the person viewing access to.
so every team member will only have access to 4 or 5 clients thats where I will give them the document with a data validation for those clients. by selecting one of the clients in the DV list, the list they have should update to the list of locations they have accounts in, and how many accounts they currently have.

so the new list will also sum all the entries of clients and the locations.
example: (Looking at Client Ariel)
NameLocationCountNameLocationCount
GeorgeToronto1ArielOttawa2
ArielToronto1
ArielOttawa2
ArielToronto-1
ArielOttawa-1
ArielOttawa1

<tbody>
</tbody>
So few things the formula did:
  • George is not included because the client we are looking for is Ariel (in DV list).
  • Ariel, Toronto, is not included because the sum is < 1
  • The only entry showing is Ariel, Ottawa because the sum is currently 2.

Its similar to advance filter, but I have to limit access to information.

Hope someone can help me accomplish this.

thank you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Kyletok

Please try to post a small sample (input) then followed by the output that goes with that input.

Try to also specify the condition under which the output must be generated. (The last post uses both "sum" and "count", a usage that was confusing [to me].)

Upvote 0
Your sample is a simple Pivot Table. A pivot Table Filter can eliminate the zero/less than zero items.
For Distribution purposes like you are asking, the Name would go in the Page Filter of the Pivot Table and then using the Show Report Filter Pages, you end up with a Sheet for each name with their summary. If the Pivot Table Option, "Save source data with file" is deactivated, each sheet can be uploaded with appropriate share permissions to OneDrive/File sharing location.

Upvote 0
@Kyletok

Please try to post a small sample (input) then followed by the output that goes with that input.

Try to also specify the condition under which the output must be generated. (The last post uses both "sum" and "count", a usage that was confusing [to me].)
here is an example of information that is on the table in which we are pulling information FROM.

Client NameLocation# of Accounts
ArielToronto1
ScottOttawa1
MarinaMontreal2
ArielNew York1
GeorgePhiladelphia2
GeorgeToronto2
ArielToronto-1
MarinaMontreal-3
ArielToronto1

<tbody>
</tbody>

Now lets say I am making this documents for a team member who I want to have access only to information about George and Ariel. (not sure if you need to know this, but the master file will be on our shared cloud, and their individual documents will pull information from it).

I want the table that they see to do 3 things.
  1. not include entries that are below 1 in the "# of accounts" column
  2. not show the same name, location twice, just sum them up into one entry.
  3. only show one client at the time, given by the cell which has a DV list.

so the team member will be able to choose to either see information about George or Ariel, and the document will automatically update as he changes the name in the DV cell.

so if he put George in the DV cell, his table would look like this:

GeorgePhiladelphia2
GeorgeToronto2

<tbody>
</tbody>

if he put Ariel, his table would look like this
ArielToronto1
ArielNew York1

<tbody>
</tbody>

As you can see:
  • Every location appears only once! despite having several entries in the master file.
  • no entry with # lower than 1 will show, it will be hidden from them as the formula should exclude it.
  • there can be many many locations per client, but each location should only show once with the sum of accounts in that location.

lets say another team member selected Marina in the DV list.
--> They would get no result because Marina has only one location which is Montreal, and the sum of montreal is -1.
so like i said, no entry with a value below 1 should show.

Hopefully I made sense here. let me know.

Upvote 0
So this would be a progressive list? meaning that...
Ariel/Tor starts on Pos, then goes Neg and does not go Pos again
Ariel/Ott starts on Pos, goes Neg, goes back to Pos and does not go Neg again
??

I am having a hard time working through your sample from post #22
so the new list will also sum all the entries of clients and the locations.
example: (Looking at Client Ariel)

Name Location Count Name Location Count
George Toronto 1 Ariel Ottawa 2
Ariel Toronto 1
Ariel Ottawa 2
Ariel Toronto -1
Ariel Ottawa -1
Ariel Ottawa 1
So few things the formula did:
•George is not included because the client we are looking for is Ariel (in DV list).
•Ariel, Toronto, is not included because the sum is < 1
•The only entry showing is Ariel, Ottawa because the sum is currently 2.
Based on that, shouldn't A/T be 1, not 2?

Upvote 0
on a normal list if u were to sum
George Toronto 1
Ariel Toronto 1

Ariel Ottawa 2
Ariel Toronto -1
Ariel Ottawa -1
Ariel Ottawa 1
(2)+(-1)+(1)=2
and because it is a value higher than 0, it should pull it from the master list. if it were below 1, it should not pull it. My team members should only see the entries where the sum of the {Client, Location} is above 0

the stuff under the blue heading in my comment #22 is what the output should look like, the stuff on the left is the input.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back