If function to leave original value if not true

charlesfarrell

Hi Guys,

I am working on a formula that will update a cell value if two condictions are met, if the conditions are not met the cell value will remain the same.

For example, I have three columns, A, B and C. Each has values in the columns already, however I would like to change the value in Column C if criteria in A and B are met, if not to leave the original value. Is this possible and what might the formula be?

I have been using:

=IF((AND(A:A="BCJ",B:B="MEL")),"MEL",C:C)

When the criteria in A and B are met C updates with MEL, which is correct, however if not met it returns the value of 0, not the value originally in column C.

I'm not sure if I have explained this very clearly, happy to answer any questions. Thanks for the help everyon!

Charlie

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
You can't use a formula to leave the same value in a cell, unless that value was originally calculated by a formula: in which case that can then be made part of a formula to replace it.

It's not clear where your original values in columns A to C are coming from, but I would suggest hiding column C and then having a formula in column D that does what you require but shows the value in the hidden column C if the IF statement is false. If a column is hidden then you can still paste into it so it shouldn't affect the presentation too much.

So D1 has the formula =IF((AND(A1="BCJ",B1="MEL")),"MEL",C1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back