counting unique values incorrectly (by +1)

avengedJC

Hi,

I have an array formula in a cell to count the number of unique dates based on criteria in another cell:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(DATA!$H:$H="JC",DATA!$I:$I),DATA!$I:$I),1))

So if "JC" is in cells in column H, then the number of unique values (in this case dates) will be counted in column I.

The only trouble I have is that for some reason, the result this gives me is 6, when there are actually only 5 unique dates. It is counting one extra for some reason.

So I came to the conclusion that there must be one extra date that I have missed. But using the filter function only lists 5 unique dates (+blanks) AND I have counted them myself and there are only 5. This lead me to think that it must be counting the blanks as a unique value as well. However, I have the exact same function to count dates with "CW" in column H and there are also blanks in the date column yet the formula doesn't seem to count the blanks and the value it gives me is correct.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Assuming your data set has headers and your formula includes the whole column that is most likely why you are getting the extra value

See here:

ABCD
1Costumer IDOrder#StatusDate
212354Complete1/1/2018
323488785submitted1/2/2018
4345845Somehting1/1/2018
52348Somehting1/3/2018
612354686Somehting1/1/2018

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx" https:="" www.mrexcel.com="" forum="" usertag.php?do="list&action=hash&hash=DAE7F5"" target="_blank"></colgroup><colgroup><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

There are 3 unique dates but also the header i unique thus the result should be 4

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Assuming your data set has headers and your formula includes the whole column that is most likely why you are getting the extra value

See here:

A
B
C
D
Costumer ID
Order#
Status
Date
Complete
1/1/2018
submitted
1/2/2018
Somehting
1/1/2018
Somehting
1/3/2018
Somehting
1/1/2018

<tbody>
</tbody>
There are 3 unique dates but also the header i unique thus the result should be 4

I understand and could see this would be possible. However as I described in my first post, I have the exact same formula and it is giving correct values for "CW" in column G. i.e. it doesn't seem to count the header.

Could you possibly suggest how I could edit my formula so that it wouldn't count the header though? I could try it and then see if it works?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
It's only going to count the header if 1) the H1 value = "JC" and 2) there's a number (or blank) in J1

.....but it will also count any blanks in column I (as zero) if column H = "JC"

Try excluding blanks like this:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Data!$H:$H="JC",IF(Data!$I:$I<>"",Data!$I:$I)),Data!$I:$I),1))

[although I'd advise you to also restrict the ranges, rather than using whole columns]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes it will also count any blanks in column I (as zero) if column H = "JC"

Try excluding blanks like this:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Data!$H:$H="JC",IF(Data!$I:$I<>"",Data!$I:$I)),Data!$I:$I),1))

[although I'd advise you to also restrict the ranges, rather than using whole columns]

THANKS! This worked! I see where I was going wrong now too.

May I ask why you advise to restrict the ranges? I could obviously do this but the database will potentially be 5000+ rows by the end of the year. I just figured easier to do the whole column lol.

Upvote 0
May I ask why you advise to restrict the ranges?

When you use SUMIFS or COUNTIF with the whole column Excel is "clever" enough to only use the "used range", but with array formulas like these if you use the whole column it's calculating across more than 1 million rows, so better to restrict to a smaller range, e.g. 10,000 rows to speed up processing

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah, okay. I did think of this but didn't want to have to type H1:H10000 a load of times lol. The document seems to be performing okay at the moment but I will keep that in mind if it starts to struggle. Thank again :).

Upvote 0
I'm curious...
I cannot replicate this behavior even with some rows where Hx="JC" and Ix blank (x = row number).
I got a wrong count only with a Custom Format in column I that displays 0 as blank.

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back