Conditionally Copy from Row Above Following Add Row VBA

LBinGA

Board Regular
Hi all:

I have this bit of code for adding a Row alphabetically into a Contacts sheet. Works great.

Code:
Sub InsertCompany()Dim sNewName As String
Dim lPosition As Long
Dim rEmpList As Range

Set rEmpList = Range("D1:D1000")

sNewName = InputBox("Enter Name of Company for added Contact")
On Error Resume Next 'if employee needs to go at start of list, Match will return [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=NA]#NA[/URL] 
lPosition = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(sNewName, rEmpList, 1)
On Error GoTo 0 'revert to normal error handling (crashing)
rEmpList(lPosition + 1).Insert
rEmpList(lPosition + 1).Value = sNewName
rEmpList(lPosition + 1).Activate

End Sub

I would like the code to look at the Company Name just added and look one cell above to determine if it matches. If it does, it should copy the data in the cells above to the blank cells just added. If not, do nothing more.

For instance, if D2 was just added via the above code, it should look at D1, determine if it's an exact match and if so copy, say, Range F1:G1 to F2:G2. (I'll set up the exact Range.)

Column DColumn EColumn FColumn G
Row 1Joe Smith
Row 2Joe Smith34
Row 3Jane Doe678
Row 4Scooby Doo101112

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks,

LBinGA

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
LBinGA,

Here is the code you need.

Code:
Dim lPosition As Long
Dim rEmpList As Range

On Error Resume Next 'if employee needs to go at start of list, Match will return [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=NA]#NA[/URL] 
rEmpList(lPosition + 1).EntireRow.Insert

If [COLOR=#ff0000]ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Value = ActiveCell.Value[/COLOR] Then
    [COLOR=#0000cd]Range(ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 1), ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 3)).Copy[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ffa500]ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1)[/COLOR]
End If

End Sub

​If the cell 1 row above has a value exactly the same as the active cell just inserted THEN
The Range (1 row up, 1 column right) to (1 row up, 3 columns right) COPY Destination of copied cells is (ActiveCells row, 1 column right)

Hope this helps.

Coops

P.S. changed the line of code to insert an entire new row rather than a new cell which made more sense to me.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much. I added the code to my worksheet and it's still adding a new row but not copying down to the active row the cells above. Ironically, if I take this code and put it in another, blank worksheet as a test (which I did), it works perfectly.

I formatted the test sheet as a Table and it still works. Not sure what code could be interfering with this. Thoughts?

It was already adding a new row without the .EntireRow.Insert...I'm thinking because it's formatted as a Table, but I changed it anyway as it's probably good practice.

The full code on that sheet is as follows:
Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

On Error Resume Next

HighlightTableRow Target

End Sub
Sub InsertCompany()
Dim sNewName As String
Dim lPosition As Long
Dim rEmpList As Range

If ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Value = ActiveCell.Value Then
    Range(ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 1), ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 3)).Copy ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1)
    End If
End Sub

Thanks again!

LBinGA

Upvote 0
I have absolutely no clue, I copied your code, it did a couple of weird operations first like replace a line and then add to the bottom, then it just started working as normal after I re pasted the info in. Couldn't replicated any faults from there.

Upvote 0
It's working! I had been messing around with this code and apparently put it in a Module as well as the Sheet. When I made the correction in the code you provided, I made it to the sheet code and not in the Module, so it wasn't even looking at the correction. Amateur mistake.
It works perfectly now.

Thanks again!!!

Upvote 0
What if I wanted just certain columns? How would that change the code?

For instance, say I wanted to just copy down Columns 3, 6, 7 & 10 only?

LBinGA

Upvote 0
I worked with it this morning and figured it out. Posting for others in case they need a solution such as this in future.

I have 15 columns of data. I only wanted to copy down the data in columns 1, 5, 11, 12 & 13 once a new Row as added, based on a match of the Row & Column above it, as follows:

Code:
Dim lPosition As Long
Dim rEmpList As Range

Set rEmpList = Range("C3:C1000")

sNewName = InputBox("Enter Name of New Company")
On Error Resume Next 'if Company needs to go at start of list, Match will return [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=NA]#NA[/URL] 

If ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Value = ActiveCell.Value Then
    Range(ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 1), ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 1)).Copy ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1)
    Range(ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 5), ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 5)).Copy ActiveCell.Offset(0, 5)
    Range(ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 11), ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 11)).Copy ActiveCell.Offset(0, 11)
    Range(ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 12), ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 12)).Copy ActiveCell.Offset(0, 12)
    Range(ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 13), ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 13)).Copy ActiveCell.Offset(0, 13)
    End If

End Sub

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Congratulations,

I was going to edit it for you at work but the computer system wasn't playing ball. Just logged in at home to find you figured it out.
If you need any more help with this. then please message me direct as I will now cancel my subscription as the matter appears solved.

Kindest Regards,

Coops

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back