Save button that indicates Save status

slack7639

Board Regular
In Notepad++, the Save button is "greyed-out" if there are "no changes" or the file has been "saved".

This is kind of useful. Is it possible to do this in Excel 2010 somehow?

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I guess MS thought that to be unnecessary since if the workbook is not saved when you close it and changes have been made, Excel asks if you want to save it. If it is already saved, it just closes. But you cannot close manually without being asked if you want to save, so you won't lose changes by closing without saving unless you do it intentionally in Excel. You could probably write some code that would tell you if a file is already saved, but it would be kind of redundant to existing notifications.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So just set it to auto-save once every 5 minutes, and forget about it? The default is every 10 minutes.

I haven't had any computer crashes in a long time, so maybe that's fine.

Still, I think it would be nice to have it as something like a red diskette when un-saved, click it, and it turns blue - something like that. Could it be fairly straightforward to have a button do that?

Upvote 0
So just set it to auto-save once every 5 minutes, and forget about it? The default is every 10 minutes.

I haven't had any computer crashes in a long time, so maybe that's fine.

Still, I think it would be nice to have it as something like a red diskette when un-saved, click it, and it turns blue - something like that. Could it be fairly straightforward to have a button do that?

The auto-save is good for recovering files if there is a crash. It does not preclude the user from having to save upon closing a file if the user wants to keep any changes that were made. It will not automatically keep those changes to the original file unless the user does initiate the save action. The autosaved file is kept separate from the original file until the user initiates the save action.

Upvote 0
It looks like this command can tell the "Saved" status:

Workbook.Saved Property (Excel) . . . https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/excel-vba/articles/workbook-saved-property-excel

But, how do you make it like a TSR program (maybe it automatically is)? . . . and, how do you make an icon that changes, based on the status? . . . Would it have to be an icon that stays with your installation of Excel, or could it be in any Custom UI Ribbon I made?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back