table columns question

Pinaceous

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I am wondering, if there is a way to combine columns in a table?

For example, if there are 7 table columns across 7 rows, can one merge its "cells" to one column?

Please let me know, if there is a method to accomplish this task.

Many thanks in advance.

R/
Pinaceous

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Hi All,

I am wondering, if there is a way to combine columns in a table?

For example, if there are 7 table columns across 7 rows, can one merge its "cells" to one column?

Please let me know, if there is a method to accomplish this task.

Many thanks in advance.

R/
Pinaceous

This was something I had to do so often.. so I created the following:

Note: Edit the CONSTS to make sure the SHEETNAME and DATA START POSITIONS are correct

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub CopyColumn()

Const SheetName = "CopyColumn"      'The name of the worksheet / worksheet tab with your data in it

Const DataStartRow = 2              'The ROW were the DATA starts. (The 1st line of DATA will be just below the COLUMN HEADINGS)
                                        'thus if your column headings are in row 1, your data starts in row [2]

Const DataStartCol = 1              'The COLUMN where the DATA starts. (If your data begins in A1, it'll be column [1]
                                        'if you data begins in D1, it'll be column[4]  (A=1, B=2, C=3, D=4.. and so on)

Const NoOfCols = 7                  'The number of columns of data to work with

Const DataMaxRow = 1048576          'Excel MAX row - do not alter

Const DataPutCol = 10               'Column you want the appended column data to go in
    Const DataPutRow = 2                'Row you want the appended column data to start at

Dim Cntr As Integer
    Dim RowEnd() As Integer
    Dim AppendRow As Integer

'Do CONST error trapping
    If DataStartRow < 1 Then
        MsgBox "The Start Row of your data [DataStartRow CONST] must be 1 or higher", vbCritical & vbOKOnly, "Const ERROR"
        Exit Sub
    End If

If DataStartCol < 1 Then
        MsgBox "The Start Column of your data [DataStartCol CONST] must be 1 or higher", vbCritical & vbOKOnly, "Const ERROR"
        Exit Sub
    End If

If NoOfCols < 2 Then
        MsgBox "The Number of Columns of data [NoOfCols CONST] must be 1 or higher", vbCritical & vbOKOnly, "Const ERROR"
        Exit Sub
    End If

If DataPutCol <= (NoOfCols + DataStartCol - 1) Then
        MsgBox "The Output Column needs to be further to the right of the data columns [DataPutCol CONST] must be greater than [DataStartCol CONST]", vbCritical & vbOKOnly, "Const ERROR"
        Exit Sub
    End If

If DataPutRow < 1 Then
        MsgBox "The Output Row [DataPutRow CONST] must be 1 or higher", vbCritical & vbOKOnly, "Const ERROR"
        Exit Sub
    End If

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

ReDim RowEnd(1 To NoOfCols)

'Get the End Row of each column of data
    For Cntr = 1 To NoOfCols
        RowEnd(Cntr) = Sheets(SheetName).Range(Cells(DataStartRow, DataStartCol + Cntr - 1).Address, Cells(DataMaxRow, DataStartCol + Cntr - 1).Address).Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    Next Cntr

'Copy the data .. appending to just one column
    For Cntr = 1 To NoOfCols
        If Cntr = 1 Then
            Sheets(SheetName).Range(Cells(DataStartRow, DataStartCol + Cntr - 1).Address, Cells(RowEnd(Cntr), DataStartCol + Cntr - 1).Address).Copy Sheets(SheetName).Range(Cells(DataPutRow, DataPutCol).Address)
            AppendRow = DataPutRow + RowEnd(Cntr) - 1
          Else
            Sheets(SheetName).Range(Cells(DataStartRow, DataStartCol + Cntr - 1).Address, Cells(RowEnd(Cntr), DataStartCol + Cntr - 1).Address).Copy Sheets(SheetName).Range(Cells(AppendRow, DataPutCol).Address)
            AppendRow = AppendRow + RowEnd(Cntr) - 1
        End If

Next Cntr

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow, hey thanks MartyS!

That's incredible! I'll be honest, I didn't think the answer would be vba and/or that intricate.

I'm going to have to put some real thought into this before I can truly comment as to the application.

Thanks again!
Paul

Upvote 0
Wow, hey thanks MartyS!

That's incredible! I'll be honest, I didn't think the answer would be vba and/or that intricate.

I'm going to have to put some real thought into this before I can truly comment as to the application.

Thanks again!
Paul

There are probably other ways of doing it, but it was literally just a few lines of code (with some error handling thrown in) and saved hours.

It's there if you need it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back