Why is Excel changing my Cond Formatting rule formula to reference the LAST row/column of the sheet?

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
This happens with enough frequency that I want to get to the bottom of it. What happens is:

1. I create a new conditional formatting ("CF") rule, inputting a simple formula to determine when the formatting should apply.
  2. I enable it, only to find that the formatting is not working as I expected it to
  3. I re-open the CF Rule manager to investigate, and see that the reason it's not working is that the "RULE" value has been changed to the last column or row in the sheet (where obviously no data exists.)
For example, see the images below; I initially put in a simple formula of something like "=D1<0" (it may not actually have been D1 -- I forget what the exact cell reference was, but it was something near the top-left of my sheet). But when I open the Rule Manager, the rule has been changed to refer to cell "XEU1048494<0". That's the very BOTTOM-most row/column of the sheet and obviously no data exists there.

Why is Excel doing this? As best I can tell, it has something to do with the order in which I input (1) the rule formula itself, and (2) the "Applies to" range. I just want to understand just what the logic is that's causing this so I can avoid it going forward.

HcwUymK.jpg

tbZfpJR.jpg

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
If you've copied the rule to other cells the D1 cell will adjust accordingly since you haven't anchored the cell.
To anchor the cell insert a $ either before the column reference or the row reference.

Depends what cells you have selected when you open that rule to look at it.
I don't think we can tell from those screen shots.

Upvote 0
out of interest,when you push CTRL + END what cell does the sheet end on?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aircuart

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back