bearcub

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the following code that I need to modify.

Certain members do not want their address and phone published in our annual directories - they want to be excluded. I have a do not publish sheet which will prevent their personnel information from being printed. what I would like to do is have the user select a cell from the current sheet and then have that name pasted onto the do not publish sheet.

How would this be tweaked so that the name or reference to the name is copied and pasted onto the do not publish sheet?

Code:
Sub DoNotPublish()
Dim res As String
res = Application.InputBox("Enter Members name who doesn't what their personal information published")
Sheets("Do No Publish  - Contacts").Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Value = res
End Sub

I realize that their isn't a reference to column B on the "Do Not Publish - Contacts sheet". I ran the code as is, pointed to a cell on the active sheet and nothing happened.

Thank you for your help,

Michael

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Either way. I was thinking the user would rather chose the cell as opposed to typing it in. But, I would like to give them the flexibility of doing both.

Upvote 0
This allows a selection.

I am not sure how to allow for both tbh

Code:
Sub DoNotPublish()

Dim res As String
Dim i As Long

res = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Select Members name who doesn't what their personal information published", Type:=8)
    i = Sheets("Do No Publish  - Contacts").Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp) + 1
    Cells(i, 2) = res
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a do not publish sheet which will prevent their personnel information from being printed.

Could you not have another column called something like "Publish" that has a Y / N response which you filter by Y before printing? All the N's will be hidden and will not therefore print.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found this macro from 2009 that was posted on the message board. This one isn't working either. I can't see why the original code that posted is giving me a type mis match .

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/339098-vba-send-data-input-box-another-worksheet.html

This was posted yesterday - which is generating a type mis match. Could it be the last line?

Code:
Sub DoNotPublish()
Dim res As String
Dim i As Long

res = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Select Members name who doesn't what their personal information published", Type:=8)
    i = Sheets("Do No Publish  - Contacts").Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp) + 1
    Cells(i, 2) = res
End Sub

This is the one I found (which also doesn't work)

Code:
Sub myBuildList()
Dim lngLstRow&
Dim strMyIPBMsg$

strMyIPBMsg = InputBox("Do  Not Publish Member:", "Get Member Name!")

With Sheets("Do No Publish  - Contacts")
        lngLstRow = .UsedRange.Rows.Count + .UsedRange.Row
       .Range("B" & lngLstRow).Value = strMyIPBMsg
     End With

Sheets("All SCC Ready to Import").Select
End Sub

For the life of me, I can't figure out why these two aren't working because on the surface it looks like they should, don't you think? I test the macro I found this morning by using a message box and I found that no text was being displayed (it made me wonder if I had set up the msgbox properly. I had it read msbox strMyIPBMsg. Or, did I do this incorrectly?

Thank you for your help,

Michael

Upvote 0
I just found the issue but I'm not quite sure how to solve this.

On the Do not Publish list I have formulas in all columns in the range other than column B - where I want them to them to add the name. The sheet Used range is 700 but the Column B used range is 24. The next entry should be on row 25. How would I find the used range in column B only?

It looks like the macros are looking at the entire used range on the sheet. I have formulas in Columns A, C-U which are looking up data for the member on the main sheet. If I l clear all the formulas from 25-700, is there a way that I could copy these formulas down to row 25 once there is a name entered?

Thank you again for your help and patience.

Michael

Upvote 0
Try this:
Code:
Sub DoNotPublish()
'Modified 3-16-18 5:30 PM EDT
Dim res As String
Dim Lastrow As Long
Lastrow = Sheets("Do No Publish  - Contacts").Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row + 1
res = Application.InputBox("Enter Members name who doesn't what their personal information published")
Sheets("Do No Publish  - Contacts").Cells((Lastrow), 2).Value = res
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back